In its 135-year history, the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Department of Internal Medicine has sustained a tradition of robust achievement and growth in each of its missions -- research, patient care, teaching, and service.
Identity and Mission Statement
- We train and recruit the best people – We are expert, collaborative, diverse and committed physicians, scientists, teachers and health science support staff who together focus on the importance of the contributions of our faculty.
- We have rigor – We are at the center of health care, health services education and health science in the State of Iowa. We belong to the regional, national, and international community of academic
- We are nimble – We harness the expertise of every person to succeed in yielding results across all our missions by being proactive and open to changing paradigms.
- We are innovative – Across all we do in basic science, health services and clinical research and clinical care we embrace innovative, inclusive, disciplined leadership in clinical service, education, and science.
- By sustained effort and commitment to lifelong learning and discovery through diversity of experience and opinion within an engaged, respectful, and open community, we strive to uphold the public trust, discover new knowledge, and contribute importantly to the alleviation of suffering and to the cure of human disease.
Diversity and Culture
The Diversity initiative of the Department of Internal Medicine joins the efforts of the Carver College of Medicine and the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, to promote the recruitment and retention of residents, fellows and faculty of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to fostering a departmental and divisional climate conducive to the growth and development of residents, fellows and faculty of minority backgrounds and are dedicated to promote culturally competent health care.