University of Calgary, Schulich School of Engineering

Becoming your engineering school

We opened our doors in 1965. Our simple name – the Faculty of Engineering – echoed our humble beginnings. The school started with two faculty members and 59 students.

Our roots

The roots of engineering education in Calgary originated as part of the University of Alberta, Calgary (UAC). The initial campus, built in 1957, got its start where the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology sits today. The UAC campus (current University of Calgary site) opened in the fall of 1960. At that time, UAC Engineering moved into the Science and Engineering building (now Science A). Construction of the current engineering complex began in 1963. The engineering school was growing and gaining greater independence.

Establishing a faculty

The first meeting of the Engineering Council happened on Sept. 28, 1964. The council tabled a proposal to establish a Faculty of Engineering in Calgary. Faculty status was granted effective April 1, 1965. Dean Adam Neville was the first to lead the school. The UAC officially became the University of Calgary in 1966.


Jobs at the University of Calgary.

When inquiring or applying for job openings at the University of Calgary, please also reference

Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with the University of Calgary and at other institutions of higher education in the region on

To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of Calgary are posted, please sign up for new job openings at the University of Calgary.