Red Deer College is hiring for Centre for Innovation - Technology Access Centre Manager to support us in our transition to Red Deer University. While we recognize that we are in unprecedented circumstances as the world navigates through this pandemic, we are balancing our responsibility in pandemic planning as well as institutional continuity for the long term. To that end, we look forward to having you on our team.
The Centre for Innovation in Manufacturing-Technology Access Centre (CIM-TAC) is RDC’s first nationally recognized research centre. CIM-TAC will create capacity in advanced design, design simulation, prototyping, and prototype testing to further the competitiveness of Alberta’s manufacturing industry by providing a regionally unique, affordable alternative to in-house research and development. Through customized support that builds on Red Deer College’s established Center for Innovation in Manufacturing (CIM), this Technology Access Centre (TAC) will help innovators design, build, and test their creative solutions to advance their company’s profitability and capability.
With the addition of a TAC, the region will have access to increased applied research services, increased industrial services, increased profile for entrepreneurial clients, and access to a national network for collaboration.
Prior to establishing itself as a TAC, RDC’s CIM operated for 10 years, providing timely solutions to innovators’ manufacturing and design problems by drawing on the College’s broad capacities, network, technical capabilities, and multi-skilled technical experts. Ninety percent of CIM’s contracts have been with companies that fit the entrepreneur, micro, and small to medium enterprise definition.
All clients recognize CIM experts for their diverse skill sets, capabilities, and responsiveness to unique challenges associated with manufacturing. Given this track record of innovation and success, the CIM-TAC at RDC is destined to grow the success of even more of Alberta’s innovative manufacturers.
The CIM-TAC Manager will be the operational leader and the key representative of the Centre, integral to the success of the above vision. In this regard, the Manager will need to bring a blend of vision, innovative thinking, industry and community engagement, post-secondary partnership, project management, operational engagement, and employee leadership to their role.
The Manager will be accountable for responsibly growing the Centre into a model that operates sustainably and can be replicated in other research areas of the college. The manager will be accountable to both the National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) advisory committee and to Red Deer College.
The CIM-TAC Manager will manage a diverse team within the School of Trades and Technologies. This position will function as a member of the School of Trades and Technologies management team and will focus on both immediate and long-term planning that is intuitive, progressive, and innovative while respectively contributing to the achievement of RDC’s strategic plan.
- Provides direct managerial oversight for people, work, projects, and financial operations associated with CIM-TAC
- Responsible for championing strategic planning and direction for CIM-TAC
- Provides direction, advice, and recommendations to RDC’s leaders regarding CIM-TAC strategy and operations
- Builds, develops, and strategizes the business growth of the College’s industry-focused applied research initiatives
- Responsible for identifying growth opportunities for CIM-TAC, including capacity building and strategic direction, in consultation with the Dean, School of Trades and Technologies
- Accountable for the development and generation of new revenue opportunities to support sustainable business growth
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of policies related to CIM-TAC’s projects
- Collaborates with internal and external researchers to develop policies and procedures around industrial sponsored research
- Assesses all research and industry service project requests to determine fit with CIM-TAC’s capabilities, and assigns a project leader for each initiative being pursued
- Ensures strong, viable, and sustainable relationships with funding providers, clients, and internal and external colleagues, supporting the outcomes and brand of the TAC at Red Deer College
- Identifies and provides direction for faculty, staff, and contractors on specific industrial projects and oversees coordination of resources for multiple concurrent projects
- Communicates with external stakeholders with regard to service level capabilities, project scope of work, expectation management, and conflict resolution
- Provides direction and assigns resources for CIM-TAC, including public relations and communication about projects
- Works collaboratively with internal and external teams to promote, pursue, and represent RDC’s applied research objectives within the region as well as on a provincial, national, and global scale
- Reports and is accountable to the NSERC advisory committee
- Represents CIM-TAC nationally within the Tech-Access Canada network
- Directly oversees and supervises CIM-TAC staff, third party consultants, and clients working within the facility, and provides indirect management & coordination of RDC research participants and students involved in projects
- Develops, reviews, and is accountable for the fluid support structure and processes to ensure the effective and efficient distribution and delegation of work
- Facilitates effective recruitment, retention, supervision, coaching, and performance management in compliance with Human Resources policies and procedures, FOIPP, and collective agreements in support of a high performing team
- Directs the day-to-day operations of direct reports and CIM-TAC contractors
- Provides leadership by disseminating information, providing feedback, advising, and coaching all employees under direct supervision and other employees working within CIM-TAC, as applicable
- Establishes and maintains a team-based approach among CIM-TAC employees and collaborators in exploring and completing innovation projects
- Represents assigned work area as first level grievance reviewer and attempts resolution in consultation with HR representatives for direct reports
- Maintains confidentiality of personal information in accordance with College policy, procedures, and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Ensures that all regulations of Occupational Health and Safety are adhered to in order to provide a safe work environment and follows up on reports generated by HR to ensure compliance with OH&S and WHMIS training
Manufacturing Innovation – TAC Research
- Provides leadership and is responsible for planning, creating, developing, delivering, and managing research projects associated with the CIM-TAC
- Brings extensive technical knowledge and experience to deliver project-based outcomes directly to industry partners in a timely manner
- Exercises a high level of influence on research activities to support timely, successful outcomes for clients, NSERC, and RDC
- Develops, oversees, and is accountable for industry standard comprehensive research reports and presentations
- Facilitates the communication and support of research results to appropriate parties
- Acts as RDC’s liaison and catalyst in knowledge mobilization into industry
- Initiates research proposals to increase funding to the CIM-TAC
- Oversees confidentiality requirements, decisions, and data of participants, including RDC, associated with research projects
Financial and Risk Management
- Directly accountable for CIM-TAC’s funding and fiduciary responsibilities to NSERC and other government granting agencies, industry funders, and RDC, working with direct reports and colleagues to fulfill this responsibility
- Accountable for budget planning, allocation, expectations, and oversight related to CIM-TAC grants and prospective funding
- Responsible for allocating financial resources to meet grant objectives and RDC strategic objectives
- Authorizes and ensures compliance with NSERC reporting requirements
- Identifies and mitigates risks associated with corporate technical service contracts
- Accountable for deliverables as outlined in grant agreements
- Master’s degree in an industry related or business field (i.e. engineering, science, or business)
- Other combinations of education and experience in project leadership in areas of prototyping and research may be considered
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in managing research projects/programs
- A minimum of 8 years demonstrated experience in conducting research
- A track record of applied research projects with various stakeholders that translate to commercialization and meaningful outcomes
- A minimum of 8 years of supervisory and leadership experience
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in commercialization of new products and technology
- Demonstrated ability in research design, data analytics, and research program leadership
- Ability to negotiate responsibilities, expectations, and accountabilities with various stakeholders to ensure outcomes are achieved
- Ability to build business relationships based in trust and respect
- Demonstrated experience in recruitment, retention, coaching, performance management, and discipline and discharge where necessary
- Proven ability to lead and manage research projects in industry or for industry
- Ability to build support and coalition for project delivery with direct reports, colleagues, and clients
- Excellent administrative, planning, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to plan strategically, initiate action, and achieve desired outcomes
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- Ph.D. preferred in an industry related field (i.e. engineering, science, or business)
Note: Red Deer College will only accept applications for this job through the original job posting found on our Employment website. To view the original job posting and to apply today, please visit: http://employment.rdc.ab.ca/postings/2764
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com.
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Red Deer College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers-Canada.com or www.AcademicCareers.com or www.UniversityJobsCanada.com