Dental Assistant, Penn Dental Family Practice at Locust WalkUniversity Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Dental Assistant, Penn Dental Family Practice at Locust WalkJob Profile Title
Dental Assistant CJob Description Summary
Penn Dental Medicine's Family Practice (PDFP) is interested in hiring the best and the brightest dental assistant who is looking to broaden their skill sets and gain valuable experience in the art and science of the dental field. As a member of the PDFP family,an individual is provided the opportunity to work alongside a diverse team whose mission is to provide quality dental care which exceeds patient expectations. The Ideal candidate must:
1. Be ready to have a voice on a highly collaborative team
2. Stay thirsty and always seek to learn and improve upon patient service and clinical practice
3. SMILE…because WE make people smile!
Penn Dental Family Practice is comprised of over 35 doctors, 15 dental hygienists, 22 dental assistants, 17 staff AND GROWING! Together, the team works collaboratively to provide multi-specialty care utilizing leading techniques in patient care.Job Description
Experience in supporting dental care delivery including: preparation of treatment rooms, setting up patient instruments and materials, passing instruments and performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice is preferred.
- Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and obtaining medical history and patient vitals, and draping patient.
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records. Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient's mouth.
- Make appropriate study models on indicated patients.
- Expose, process, and mount necessary x-rays
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies; pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances.
- Aid in chairside assistance as needed.
- Educate and motivate patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions, presents and explains treatment plants to patients, demonstrates effective communication to bridge the gap between a pending treatment plan and a completed treatment plan, provides postoperative instructions and schedules and subsequent visits.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results; monitors inventory; maintains proper usage and operations of equipment.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Flexibility in scheduling is required for all positions.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing and supporting as assigned.
- POSITIVE ENERGY AND ENTHUSIASM, with a strong commitment to exceeding patient and team expectations
- FLEXIBILITY AND OPENNESS to work as a team in a variety of roles, assignments, and duties
- TEAM PLAYER a strong desire to be an active, long-term participant in the growth and success of the practice
- ABILITY TO ADAPT AND LEARN QUICKLY, make an immediate, sustainable impact, and provide value-added service to patients and team
- STRONG COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, displaying the ability to connect and build relationships with team members/peers and patients
- CONFIDENCE IN PROFESSIONAL APTITUDE and ability to effectively convey skills, knowledge, and qualifications to patients
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & POSITION EXPECTATIONS
- Technical School Certification, or training required beyond High School and minimum of 3 years of practical experience in a dental care facility or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- All qualified candidates are required to be x-ray certified, experience taking xrays, chair side assisting and 4 handed dentistry, taking impressions, pouring up models, understanding of infection control
- Current CPR and BLS certifications required.
- Experience and knowledge in HIPAA policies, mixing materials and dental charting required.
- Employment clearance through the State of PA to work on/with children: as determined through Pennsylvania Criminal Background Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Finger Printing Database is required.
- Experience with AxiUm preferred.
- Ability to accommodate different scheduling requirements based on the operational needs of the Penn Dental Family Practice.
Penn Dental Family Practice is the multispecialty dental practice of Penn Dental Medicine. With general dentists as well as specialists, patients can receive your comprehensive care for all your dental needs within each of the two practice locations. Patients benefit from a team of experts who practice using the leading techniques and technologies in dentistry and who are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care.
At Penn Dental Medicine, our students are among the nation's best, and they are matched in quality by the high level of instruction and research among our faculty. Our research encompasses all the basic and clinical sciences, and Penn's emphasis on interdisciplinary scholarship encourages collaborations across disciplines. Our clinical care brings the latest techniques and technologies to patients within our teaching clinics and faculty practice. As stewards of the neighborhood in which we reside, Penn Dental Medicine participates in a diversity of community outreach programs, serving area residents while teaching our students to practice with compassion and responsibility.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of Dental MedicinePay Range
$17.98 - $23.00 Hourly Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Penn-Dental-at-Schattner-Center/Dental-Assistant--Penn-Dental-Family-Practice-at-Locust-Walk_JR00083685-1Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How to Apply: Please click the "Apply Now" button below or visit: https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn
Jobs at the University of Pennsylvania. When inquiring or applying for positions within the University of Pennsylvania, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at the University of Pennsylvania and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of Pennsylvania are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at the University of Pennsylvania.