Teaching Professors associated with the ABSN track of the BSN degree program are individuals who serve the University on a full time basis for 12 months and whose primary responsibility is teaching in the clinical/lab and/or didactic courses. Time off is provided throughout the academic year as approved by the Associate Director during this 12 month contract. Instructors are not evaluated with respect to scholarship, yet are expected to engage in on-going professional development appropriate to nursing. Teaching Professors are not eligible for tenure. Nursing teaching professors serve as course coordinators, faculty advisors, maintain frequent contact with adjunct faculty in clinical courses, responsible for course syllabus, teaching and providing guidance for the students’ clinical/lab experiences and/or didactic courses, and evaluation of their performance.
REPORTS TO: Director of the School of Nursing
- Supports and implements the mission of Xavier University and the School of Nursing.
- Collaborates in the revision, development, and evaluation of the nursing program.
- Collaborates with other course coordinators and faculty members for ongoing curriculum development.
- Develops, utilizes, and evaluates techniques of instruction and evaluative tools for students to assist nursing students to meet course objectives.
- Provides students with full syllabus and course outline at the beginning of each semester.
- Applies evaluative findings for the improvement of instruction, professional growth, and program development.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the student as a learner and as an individual.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with professional staff to facilitate student learning and collaborates with the clinical site coordinator.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge in assigned content area.
- Utilizes current and applicable research in teaching.
- Updates skills and knowledge by attending appropriate continuing education related to area of expertise and clinical interest.
- Serves as an advocate for students’ concerns.
- Serves as academic advisor to assigned students.
- Supervises activities of teaching assistants when utilized and obtain their input for student evaluation.
- Participates in Xavier University and Nursing School professional activities.
- Contributes to the functioning of committees within Xavier University, the School of Nursing, and the professional community.
- Collaborates in creating and promoting goals of Xavier University and the Nursing School.
As a Clinical/Lab Instructor and faculty member of an Extended Campus, the primary responsibility is the implementation of the academic programs to align with the main campus. Nursing Instructors are assigned teaching responsibilities in a clinical or lab course and are expected to contribute to achievement of the missions of teaching, research, and service. Faculty is accountable to the Assistant Director of Nursing for the ABSN Program at Xavier University and Interim Dean of the College of Nursing.
XAVIER UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Preferred and Required Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Nursing and a current, active, unencumbered RN license in the state of Ohio are required.
- RN with a minimum of five years of experience in the practice of nursing with at least two years of experience in fundamentals and skills lab. Knowledge of foundational nursing skills, curriculum development, methods of teaching and evaluation processes and simulation are preferred.
- Possesses excellent communication, strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Knowledgeable of current research and scholarship, that is supportive to the professional development of nursing.
- Maintains a commitment to community service.
- Familiar with cultural competence and current advances in technology to enhance the educational experience of students.
OTHER EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Clinical Competence: Able to function with professional accountability in clinical settings.
- Teaching Competence: Able to create a climate conducive to positive student learning.
- Technology Competence: Able to use computer technology (Learning management system, Word, Power Point, E-mail, and Internet) at a minimum
- Recognize the importance of distance education and be willing to facilitate distance education.
- Must provide a high level of professional nursing care to patients and clients.
- Function as a role model for professional nursing and communicate this role to students.
- Maintain knowledge of health needs of own community and its healthcare services.
• Ability to accept shared responsibility for the planning and implementation of assigned courses, program planning activities, and other needs of the academic programs.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, staff, students, agency personnel, and others as necessary in providing public service.
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional learning.
*Supply ordering and inventory along with access to the supply room and simulation control room are the responsibility of the coordinator.
Xavier University has a strong commitment to diversity and, building upon recent success, seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women and minorities. To be considered for the teaching professor position, candidates will have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Nursing and four years in the practice of nursing. Additionally, 2 years of teaching in a university setting is preferred for candidates with a strong practice and/or teaching experience in nursing fundamentals and skills lab.
To ensure consideration for this position, interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University's website no later than July 1, 2020.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Xavier University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com