Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Head Coach is responsible for the development of a competitive Softball program within NCAA guidelines and D’Youville. General tasks include all aspects of managing and coaching a collegiate Softball program.
Specific Tasks performed:
- Contribute to the educational mission of D’Youville by offering leadership that reflects D’Youville Athletics commitment to excellence, integrity, and respect.
- Responsible for administration of all phases of the program, including monitoring team budget, scholarship distribution, player management, scheduling, compliance, expense reports, game day operations, and conducting camps and/or clinics.
- Oversee operational activities of assistant coaches, provides professional development opportunities, and prepares annual coaching evaluations.
- Attend and participate in department and staff meetings as requested/required.
- Maintain a positive and constructive working relationship with support staff in sports information, sports medicine, facilities/operations, compliance, admissions, and athletic advancement, to assist in implementation of an efficient and effective program and department.
- Participate in fundraising initiatives. Engage in special events to generate interest within the College community, parents, and alumni.
- Develop an effective outreach program with student-athletes that engages and supports the D’Youville community and the Buffalo community.
- Collaborate with sport administrator and/or Director of Athletics to develop annual goals for the program.
- Become an advocate and expert of D’Youville’s mission, community, and academic standards on and off campus.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and/or sport supervisor.
- Provide an organized recruiting strategy of student-athletes for the Softball program.
- Coordinate with athletic administration on eligibility requirements to ensure full compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. Provides administration of financial aid for both prospective and enrolled student athletes.
- Monitor student-athlete academic performance and utilizes campus resources to assist in student athlete academic progress.
- Coordinate travel (ex: bus/air, hotel, meals, etc.) and organizes supervision of players while on the road.
Preferred and Required Qualifications
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of coaching and teaching techniques to effectively create and establish program culture.
- Knowledge of recruiting techniques and the ability to effectively use them.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required, master's degree is preferred.
- Three years' experience coaching softball at the collegiate level is required.
- Proven successful recruiting of quality student-athletes.
- Must have knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations, demonstrated knowledge of basic principles of coaching/team supervision, the ability to effectively coordinate recruiting activities, and the ability to maintain team discipline and instill proper ethical and moral standards.
- Valid driver's license required.
Position is full time and requires evening and weekend hours and travel.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com