The Director of Library Services provides strategic vision and leadership for the library, working effectively with faculty and staff across campus as an advocate for the library. The director is responsible for all aspects of the library and its services including personnel administration, information literacy, collection development, instructional design, policy development, budgets, marketing, and academic and research programs/services. This position reports directly to the Provost.
• Responsible for the efficient management and direction of the library, including operations, budget, supervision and direction of library staff, collection development, and the effective coordination of services with the Otis college community.
• Responsible for providing leadership for the Library’s information literacy and instruction program, including outreach to faculty, teaching workshops, consulting with students, and instructional assessment.
• Creates, defines, and fosters an innovative information literacy program to support and enhance the College’s learning outcomes. Assesses the effectiveness of the instruction and information literacy program, and works with librarians to make adjustments when necessary.
• Manages evolving demands of technology and the building of a digital library. Oversees the development and management of digital image databases and learning management systems to ensure support for teaching and learning and branding efforts of Otis College.
• Works collaboratively with faculty to develop innovative and effective approaches to strengthening student information literacy skills.
• Provides research and assessment data, including statistics, user surveys, portfolio reads, etc. to evaluate library services and instructional technologies. Maintains annual assessment portfolios including data for each area.
• Stays up to date on changing technologies and developments in college library and teaching/learning environments.
• Plans and prepares for future growth and innovation; prepares and submits grant proposals for enhancement of services based on objective need analysis and use projections.
• Develops and administers a budget for department operations. Approves/disapproves department expenditures. Provides projections and reports for budget development and administration purposes.
• Responsible for ensuring adherence to applicable federal, state and college laws, requirements, policies and procedures within their area of authority. Ensures that required reports for federal and state agencies and for internal needs are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. Must be responsive to work-related phone calls and emails during non-business hours on occasion.
• ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree.
• Three to five years of experience in an academic library and two or more years of instruction experience.
• Demonstrated successful leadership, interpersonal and supervisory skills working with a diverse population.
• Expertise in information literacy concepts, instructional design, assessment, and curriculum development. Ability to develop and implement engaging course-related instruction sessions. Knowledge of learning theory, pedagogical methods, and learning outcomes assessment to support information literacy instruction.
• Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com