Job Summary: The Systems Specialist for mobile computing provides technical configuration, implementation, and maintenance services supporting the College’s mobile computing initiatives within the academic programs. This position provides technical leadership related to the installation, configuration, and maintenance of IT-related systems in both administrative and academic environments to ensure the highest levels of efficiency and security. This position serves on a team that acts as the primary liaison for all help desk inquiries either in-person, via phone, or on-line. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of End‐User Computing (SDEUC).
• Works in coordination with SDEUC on the mobile computing strategic plan initiatives including identifying appropriate academic programs, defining implementation timelines, developing multifunctional lab space model, migrating to cloud-based services, and exploring areas for efficiency in help desk system and systems deployment.
• Directly supports mobile computing technology and services in academic computer labs and administrative offices, multimedia classrooms. Installs, configures, tests, and assists users with the implementation of new hardware, software, and applications supporting mobile technologies on campus.
• Implements technology services supporting student and faculty owned mobile computing devices (including tablets and phones), and all other college-owned computing hardware and software. This include mobile printing, mobile scanning to network volumes, cloud-based apps and storage, and Wi-Fi access to online services.
• Works in coordination with Technology Infrastructure department through SDEUC to identify and implement Wi-Fi/wireless services using existing and new technologies in cloud networking services.
• Serve as the point person for upgrade of administrative and academic systems including help desk support, one-card system, security cameras, access-control, ID printing, housing and dining services.
• Provides training and guidance to other technical support staff and student workers. Plans and designs training documentation and conducts hands‐on training.
• Develops documentation for systems and administration procedures. May write reports and/or summaries (e.g., status reports, problem reports, progress summaries, system utilization reports) as needed. Implements and documents procedures for all supported hardware and software systems.
• Recommends changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determines hardware or software requirements related to such changes. May help develop an equitable upgrade plan in collaboration with supervisor based on maintenance recommendations.
• Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading online and print publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings, and seminars.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems, or related field is required or combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education.
• A minimum of 2-4 years of experience with systems administration is required, preferably in a higher education environment.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and MacOS is required. Linux, VMware knowledge is preferred.
• Experience with computer and network security including Cisco Meraki services, firewalls, vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection/prevention, vulnerability remediation, and log monitoring is a major plus.
• Experience in systems programming and scripting is desirable.
• Experience with applications and tools including Banner, Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, web‐based productivity applications, and open source solutions is desirable.
• Must be able to work efficiently and cooperatively in a multitasking collaborative team environment.
• Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
• Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Must be willing to be available on‐call and perform duties outside of core business hours.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Otis College of Art and Design and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com