Non Tenure Track Assistant Professor of Reading—Search #67991
Georgia Southern University
College of Education
Department of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
The Department of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading in the College of Education invites applications and nominations for the position of Non-Tenure Track Assistant Professor of Reading.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving over 25,500 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via growing online programs. Through our degree offerings at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
Within this setting, the Department of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading offers master's degrees, an education specialist degree, an endorsement program in reading education,as well asa doctoral degree in curriculum studies. Additionally, the department provides a service function to all other programs in the College of Education. A full-time reading faculty member is needed to support the college's reading programs, teacher certification programs, and the pre-education program. The individual hired in this faculty position is expected to contribute to the college's goal of continued excellence and innovation in teaching. The College of Education is accredited by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
Position Description. Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading. The Assistant Professor of Reading will be assigned to the Statesboro campus and requires teaching and service responsibilities. This includes delivering high-quality instruction and service to the department, college, and university. Teaching will focus on undergraduate and graduate courses in reading in face-to-face and online formats. The position is a 10-month, non-tenure track appointment. The successful applicant will be expected to teach a 5/4 teaching load fall and spring semesters. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned doctorate in Reading Education, Literacy Education, or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate semester hours in reading/literacy education by August 1, 2024
• Minimum three years of experience as a full-time teacher in a K-12 setting
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring,
and curriculum design and development
• Experience teaching reading/literacy education in higher education settings
• Evidence of excellent teaching at the university level (if applicable)
• Experience with literacy assessment, diagnosis, and interventions
• Knowledge of innovative and instructional approaches to work effectively with a wide range of ethnically, culturally, and linguistically diverse students across a variety of rural, suburban, and urban community settings
• Experience teaching in online learning environments
• Experience creating professional development learning opportunities for teachers
• Five or more years of experience as a full-time teacher in a K-12 setting
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins December 1, 2023, and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2024. A complete application consists of  a letter addressing the qualifications cited above;  a curriculum vitae;  copies of unofficial graduate transcripts; and  the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Applications and nominations will be accepted only as an email attachment in a single PDF file, including all materials listed above in the specified order. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Alma Stevenson and Dr. Leslie Roberts, Search Co-Chairs, Search #67991
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: https://tinyurl.com/y67ysb83
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://coe.georgiasouthern.edu/ . The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Jobs at Georgia Southern University. When inquiring or applying for positions within Georgia Southern University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Georgia Southern University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Georgia Southern University are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Georgia Southern University.