To provide technical expertise and labor to maintain college equipment and grounds to provide for a safe, comfortable environment for students, faculty, staff and community. Maintain college landscape for a safe, comfortable environment for students, faculty, staff and community.
- Maintain campus lawns and fields by cutting with riding mower, tractor and gang mower, bush hogging and string trimmer.
- Operate string trimmer daily in areas not accessible to riding mower.
- Maintain mowing equipment rotary mower units – to include repair oil/fluid changes, filters, lubrication, blade sharpening and minor repairs of bearings and cutting blades.
- Care for shrubbery, trees and flowerbeds to include trimming, fertilization, weeding, mulching, removal of dead trees, and replacement of cultivars.
- Application of pesticides and herbicides and other materials as directed by grounds foreman.
- Removal of debris from college campus, assist with waste collection and disposal.
- Perform light maintenance duties as directed – to include painting, power washing, and general repairs.
- Prepare and paint structures.
- Assist maintenance mechanics as directed on routine maintenance and special projects where additional personnel are required due to safety or time concerns.
- Repair of pasture and chain link fences
- Removal of snow and ice from college campus
- Preventative maintenance on yard equipment and college vehicles to include minor repairs
- Operation of a variety of equipment to include trucks, tractors, mowing equipment and front end loaders.
- Assist with snow and ice removal in winter.
- Backup mail carrier as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Possess valid Tennessee Driver’s license
- Experience with landscape maintenance and pertinent equipment
- Painting experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Work Characteristics:
- Ability to use power tools and hand tools safely
- Ability to communicate in written and spoken English to diverse staff, faculty and student population
- Must be able to operate a variety of power tools and equipment, including pole saw, hedge trimmers, chain saw, string trimmers, bench and handheld grinders, spray tanks, drill, cut off saw, power washer and leaf blower.
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of trucks, tractors, lift truck and mowing equipment and ability to operate manual transmissions in motor vehicles; familiarity with heavy equipment
- Minor mechanical ability and use of hand tools
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Knowledge of surface preparation for trim and finish painting
- Knowledge of types of paint to use for assigned projects.
- Ability to carry out simple oral instructions
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time under unfavorable climatic conditions
- Bending, Stooping and climbing
- Lift up to 50 pounds
Hiring Salary Range: $32,000 - $38,400
This position is based at the Columbia, TN Campus.
About Columbia State Community College:
As Tennessee’s first community college (established in 1966), Columbia State is committed to increasing access and enhancing diversity at all five of our campuses. Columbia State is a member of the Tennessee Board of Regents. Columbia State is known for excellence both inside and outside the classroom.
Columbia State offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to the following:
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- 13 paid holidays
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Retirement plans
- Optional 401K and 403B Deferred Compensation Plans
- Educational benefits for the employee and their spouse and dependents
Columbia State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age (as applicable), status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other category protected by Federal or State laws and regulations and by Tennessee Board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies:
Executive Director of Human Resources
1665 Hampshire Pike, Columbia, TN 38401
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at Columbia State Community College. When inquiring or applying for positions at Columbia State Community College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Columbia State Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Columbia State Community College are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Columbia State Community College.