Linux Systems Engineer (Systems Administrator II)Department:
Information Technology Service - 205400Minimum Qualifications
License/Certification RequiredPreferred Qualifications
- 3+ years experience in administering and supporting IT Systems or Infrastructure.
- 1+ years experience in leading IT projects
- Knowledge in one or more of the following: Windows Server and Desktop, Linux Server and Desktop, Authentication (Active Directory, Azure AD, SAML SSO, or LDAP), VMware Virtualization, Containers, Cloud (AWS or Azure), Google Workspace or Microsoft 365 administration
Essential Duties and ResponsibilitiesAbout the Opportunity:
- String Linux administration experience and knowledge
- Familiarity with typical Linux workloads
- web server administration (Tomcat, Apache, etc)
- email server administration\
- Familiarity with containerization
- Scripting/coding experience
- Strong communication skills
- String troubleshooting skills
This position is a Systems Engineer in the Systems Architecture & Engineering team
. The Systems Engineers form the backbone of ITIS and have multiple roles. This position’s areas of responsibility will range from participating in the architecting and implementation of solutions to the administration of IT systems and services. Additionally, this position will function as the first contact for the resolution and future prevention of support issues.About the Unit – Information Technology Infrastructure and Systems (ITIS):
Information Technology Infrastructure and Systems (ITIS) is one of the branches of Information Technology Services (ITS) at Appalachian State University. The mission of ITIS is to provide the key technologies that form the backbone of IT services for the University. ITIS does this by working closely with all university stakeholders in architecting solutions in an environment that allows our employees to be actively involved in the planning, decision-making, and development of infrastructure and systems.
ITIS consists of two branches; a systems-focused branch called IT Systems Architecture and Engineering and an infrastructure-focused branch called IT Infrastructure Architecture and Engineering.
Systems Architecture and Engineering oversees the following areas:
- Server Operating Systems & Applications
- Endpoint Operating Systems & Applications
- Authentication platforms
- Azure & Google Cloud Services
- Google Workspace and Microsoft 365 Platforms
Infrastructure Architecture and Engineering oversees the following areas:
- Network, Voice, and Wireless Infrastructure
- Storage & Recovery Platforms
- Virtualization & Container Services
- Data Center & Physical Infrastructure
- Amazon AWS Cloud Services
- Administration of assigned systems and applications including, troubleshooting, automation, maintenance, implementation, and improvement.
- Be an expert resource and participate in architecting solutions.
- Implement architecting solutions
- While being first contact and resolving support issues, look for common/repeating issues and develop solutions to prevent or reduce their occurrence.
Appalachian State offers the option for free classes to employees through the Tuition Waiver Program. The Tuition Waiver Program offers eligible employees free tuition and fees for up to three courses per academic year (defined as fall semester, spring semester, and the summer sessions that follow) at any of the 17 institutions within the UNC System.
Courses may or may not be job-related – there are no restrictions on the field(s) of study.Work Schedule/Hours:
Mon-Fri, 8:00am-5:00 pm and as needed. Work from home may be permitted. Some after-hours/weekend may be required.Suggested Salary Range:
$91,971 - $95,775Closing Date: Open Until Filled:
YesEvaluation of Applications Begins:
10/23/2023Proposed Date of Hire:
12/04/2023To apply, visit https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/42742
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button in each job posting.
Jobs at Appalachian State University.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Appalachian State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Appalachian State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Appalachian State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Appalachian State University.