Prairie View A&M UniversityVeterinary Technician IIJob Title
Veterinary Technician IIAgency
Prairie View A&M UniversityDepartment
Adloc Cooperative Agriculture And Research CenterProposed Minimum Salary
$16.84 hourlyJob Location
Prairie View, TexasJob Type
This position may pay more than the minimum proposed salary listed above, depending on experience and/or qualifications of the selected candidate.
The purpose of this Veterinarian Technician position inherently involves providing excellent veterinary care to our full-service at the International Goat Research Center and the cattle herd at Prairie View A&M University. The Veterinary Technician represents the mission and values to PVAMU. The Veterinary Technician sets the tone within the technical and customer support staff in the IGRC, and is responsible, like all team members, for fostering cohesion and motivation within the team. Responsibilities:
Required Education and Experience:
- Obtain weight and vital signs for the patient (temperature, pulse, respirations, pain score, body condition score), and record all in the electronic medical record, begin documentation of the patient visit in the electronic medical record by documenting a thorough patient history.
- Assist veterinarian with clinical cases (routine and emergency), surgery, dentistry, and euthanasia, taking direct supervision from the veterinarian.
- Perform patient restraint, obtain and process laboratory samples, handle and dispense medications at the direction of the veterinarian, and maintain the electronic medical record.
- Schedule activities, relay test results to doctor, maintain and update inventory as well as patient records, and manage accounts receivable.
- Prepare patients for surgical procedures, safely support induction and monitoring of anesthetized patients including checking and recording vital parameters (under direction of the veterinarian), monitor patients during recovery.
- Provide in-hospital treatments for sick patients including giving injectable and oral medications as well as intravenous fluid therapy; keep patients clean, watered, and fed (when indicated and directed by veterinarian), and safely walk patients when necessary.
- Participate in the training of new staff members and general dissemination of knowledge as required.
- Keep Pharmacy and surgery room environment neat and clean; perform regular cleaning of environment based on necessity as well as based on a pre-determined maintenance schedule.
- Participate in research projects that include preparation of animals (body condition score, estrous synchronization, semen collection and processing, artificial insemination).
- Other activities related to the veterinary care and research.
- Participation in the extension and educational programs for students, ranchers, and other customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Associate's degree in veterinary technology, biomedical science, animal science or a related area, or any equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Two years technical experience in veterinary medicine. At least 2 years' clinical mixed or large animal veterinary medical experience.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be compassionate and sympathetic, and be able to maintain a professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful situations.
- Must have telephone and computer skills (Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with others and in a team-environment
- College or college-equivalent education (completed) as required in becoming a Credentialed Veterinary Technician in Texas.
- Veterinary Technician Diploma with active license at Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examination.
- Experience with large and small ruminants.
- Ability to bend, kneel, lift (up to 50 pounds, as necessary) and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to be in direct contact with animals
- Ability to spend time in laboratory, office and outdoor setting/environments.
- Must be able to be flexible and/or work beyond normal business hours and/or work on weekends.
Job Posting Close Date:Required Attachments:
- Four years of previous experience or working in a veterinary practice.
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
Application Submission Guidelines:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or email@example.com
should you need assistance with the online application process.Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-TX/Veterinary-Technician-II_R-061816?workerSubType=0e1cd8ed3502012ddf607157e74b7d04&workerSubType=0e1cd8ed35020103f9b47257e74b7f04&workerSubType=0e1cd8ed350201da3af87057e74b7c04&workerSubType=0e1cd8ed35020108df607157e74b7e04About Us
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Jobs at Prairie View A&M University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Prairie View A&M University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Prairie View A&M University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To sign up to receive email alerts as soon as new job openings at Prairie View A&M University are announced: New job openings at Prairie View A&M University