Program Counselor-TRIO/ Upward Bound
The Upward Bound Counselor is a 100% grant-funded position responsible for recruiting, assessing, and advising program participants during the academic and summer years. The Counselor is liable for the daily operations of the Upward Bound program and for assisting in accomplishing the program's overall project goals and objectives. The Upward Bound Counselor will provide direct services to the participants, including counseling, assessment, monitoring, and academic development. Other duties include assisting in planning and organizing the summer program, chaperoning trips, and communicating with high school counselors and parents/guardians about students' academic, personal, career, and social development.
• Bachelor's degree in Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, Education, or related field required;
• One or two years of professional experience working with disadvantaged or at-risk students in a federal TRIO or similar program
• Ability to communicate and work well with participants, parents/guardians, and high school personnel.
• Professional or personal experiences in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants.
• Valid driver's license and the ability to work independently and travel extensively within the target area required.
• Demonstrate the ability to work effectively independently.
• Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills.
• Must be able to work without constant supervision, make effective decisions, and have good judgment.
• Knowledge of basic computer skills in Microsoft Word office software
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with high school counselors or other personnel at the Upward Bound target schools.
• Implement a plan to improve student academic performance.
• Provide day-to-day administrative support to the director.
• Coordinates and provide individual instruction, tutorial sessions, and special workshops
• Experience advising and assisting students with college admissions, IEP, and financial aid processing.
• Counsel students and small groups based on student academic need needs.
• Assist students in developing skills, such as organizational and time management, and practical study skills.
• Collaborate with students to develop a plan for achieving academic and career goals.
• Assist in planning and implementation of the summer program, field trips, and other extra-curricular activities
• Ability to effectively recruit and maintain a large caseload of program participants and provide them with services and activities as indicated on their IEP.
• Organize tutorial sessions, mentoring, and special workshops.
• Attend professional development meetings and conferences
• Workplace attendance is essential for job function
• Perform other job-related duties assigned.
• Sound work ethics
• Good customer service
• Proven Skills
• Listening skills
• Team player
Supervision and Evaluation:
• The performance of this job will be evaluated annually by the immediate supervisor under provisions of the Jarvis Christian University Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
• Success in the workplace depends on a strong commitment to assigned tasks, respect for others, and confidentiality in handling and dealing with prospects and sensitive constituent information.
• Honesty, integrity, and treating others with respect are expected at all times.
• Good presentation skills include, but are not limited to, professional dress/business attire, excellent personal grooming, and good verbal and written skills.
• Assume responsibility for own professional growth and development, keeping current of best practices in area of responsibility
• Adhere to the Jarvis Christian University Code of Ethics.
Terms of Employment:
• Twelve (12) month position
Application Details (to apply use the Apply Now button below.)
View more Jarvis Christian University jobs and apply here: https://www.jarvis.edu/job-listings
Jobs at Jarvis Christian University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Jarvis Christian University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Jarvis Christian University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Jarvis Christian University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Jarvis Christian University .