Teacher, Academy at Middle Fork (Winston-Salem, NC)Department:
ASU/RCOE Lab School - 260850Minimum Qualifications
License/Certification RequiredSee Minimum QualificationsPreferred Qualifications
- Degree in elementary education
- Hold or be eligible for a NC teaching license in elementary education, K-6
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- 3+ years of successful teaching experience
- Master’s degree in education
- National Board Certification
The University of North Carolina System Laboratory School initiative
was established by the North Carolina General Assembly to provide enhanced educational programming to improve student performance and to plan demonstration sites for the preparation of future teachers and school administrators. Appalachian State University
is the only UNC System institution to operate two of the System’s nine lab schools — the App State Academy at Middle Fork
and the App State Academy at Elkin
The Academy at Middle Fork uses an innovative, team-based teaching model that promotes co-teaching and inclusive practices. The Teacher
is a member of a collaborative grade level span and uses co-teaching and small-group instructional strategies to meet the needs of students. Each week, the teacher is provided a full day without instructional responsibilities to co-plan with colleagues, attend Professional Learning Team (PLT) meetings, and participate in professional development.
There are many perks to working at an App State lab school:
- 4-day instructional week
- Free university coursework to pursue advanced degrees and licensure areas
- Master’s pay, regardless of when the degree was earned
- Professional development from university faculty
- 12 monthly paychecks
- Match the WS/FCS salary supplement, and
- Be a trailblazer in reimagining schools!
The teacher must be an enthusiastic and transformative teacher who will plan innovative lessons, cultivate an inclusive classroom community of learners, and implement authentic, project-based learning experiences. The teacher will facilitate a learning environment by planning, organizing, and implementing an appropriate instructional program that promotes students to think deeply and critically about learning that is meaningful and relevant to their culture, lives, and future.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Model and meet the expectations of the Portrait of a Lab School Team Member.
- Create fair, inclusive, and equitable classroom communities.
- Create clear expectations and norms for classroom communities.
- Use restorative practices to address learning and behavior needs.
- Foster a growth mindset in the classroom.
- Communicate positively, effectively, and regularly with students and families.
- Actively engage with colleagues, school administration, the local community, and university partners to cultivate a collaborative school environment.
- Implement co-planning, co-teaching, co-assessment, and co-reflection practices with grade level span colleagues, Exceptional Children’s (EC) teachers, and Multilingual (ML) teachers.
- Develop innovative, integrated, and inquiry-based lesson plans that are student-centered and based on constructivist approaches.
- Utilize instructional materials to support evidence-based teaching strategies.
- Understand developmental appropriateness of materials and differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
- Collaborate and plan regularly with EC and ML teachers to ensure students are receiving appropriate classroom accommodations and to understand student IEPs.
- Assess the progress of students and use data to inform teaching strategies.
- Evaluate student performance on a regular basis using formative and summative assessments.
- Fully understand and follow expectations set forth by the staff handbook.
- Maintain appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance and appropriate use of conference and planning time.
- Attend and be fully engaged in staff meetings, PLT meetings, and other committee meetings.
- Engage in opportunities for enhanced professional development to stay current in innovative teaching practices affecting the whole child.
- Follow a plan for professional development and demonstrate evidence of growth.
- Respect the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, families, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics and state and federal laws.
- Share responsibility during the school day for the supervision of students in areas of the school.
- Comply with state and federal education statutes, including the NC Code of Ethics for Educators.
- Adhere to the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards.
- Other duties as assigned
Learn more about being a teacher at the Academy at Middle Fork here
Monday – Friday, 7:15 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.; at times this position may require more than the workday to perform the essential duties of this position, including attendance and participation at schoolwide events after school hours.Suggested Salary Range:
Based on NC Teacher Salary + WS/FCS SupplementClosing Date: Open Until Filled:
YesEvaluation of Applications Begins:
10/23/2023Proposed Date of Hire:
11/01/2023To apply, visit https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/42604
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button in each job posting.
Jobs at Appalachian State University.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Appalachian State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Appalachian State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Appalachian State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Appalachian State University.