Foundation Accounting and Scholarship Officer
Reporting to the Foundation's Assistant Director and Financial Officer, the Foundation Accounting & Scholarship Officer intakes, researches, reviews, processes, and reconciles financial and accounts payable transactions for the Foundation. The position will be responsible for daily transactions related to scholarships, batch processing, ledger, accounts payable, and reporting. This position will assist with the preparation, processing and documentation for audits, taxes, financial reports, reconciliations and ad hoc projects. As assigned, this position will research, prepare, draft, secure approvals for, and/or file accounting, tax, or compliance documents. As assigned, the Officer may occasionally partner with the Foundation's information technology staff to conduct data hygiene initiatives.
The Foundation Accounting Officer is responsible for all elements of the private scholarship stewardship process, monitoring all awards made, tracking results, communicating with donors, and coordinating stewardship efforts with donors. The Officer is also responsible for maintaining comprehensive records of all scholarship accounts and awardees and coordinates with University Financial Aid to ensure the maximum number of eligible awards are made each year. The Officer will interact with donors and will help assess and route information requests regarding pledges, gifts, and accounts.
This is a full-time, on-site position, which requires formal training and/or professional experience in accounting. The Officer serves in place of the Assistant Director if the latter is unavailable, reporting to the Foundation Board, donors, and, as needed, University officials.
- These duties are a representative sample of the types of duties and level of responsibilities that will be required; and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Maintain accurate records, including journals, ledgers, receipts, and invoices in accordance with accounting standards
- Assist with the development and oversight of budget and financial information (maintain balances, research discrepancies, and perform reconciliations)
- Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly financials, reports and budgets according to schedule
- Serve as initial contact for financial fund information, assess and respond to inquiries, provide appropriate information and direction
- Manage or support donor and IRS compliance efforts for all private funds.
- Serves as the Foundation's private scholarship administrator. In this role, will:
- Track all scholarship funds and awards made
- Coordinate with Financial Aid and scholarship committee across campus to ensure the maximum eligible number and amounts of awards are made
- Follow up with unclaimed awards to re-award to new recipients
- Establish and maintain contact with awardees
- Manage all awardee records
- Responsible for stewarding all private scholarship donors
- Directly engage private donors to report scholarship status and awardee outcomes
Partner with the Assistant Director and Financial Officer to identify, address, and resolve financial issues ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details; proven competence with collection and management of documentation and paperwork
- Ability to work independently, accurately and promptly research, prepare, analyze and process financial data, reconciliations, and documents observing approved processes and controls
- Resilient, adaptable problem solver and strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and adjust to evolving priorities with a proven track record of meeting deadlines
- High level of professional integrity
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to conduct research, analyze data, and produce complex reports to support data-driven decision making.
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with co-workers, supervisor, students, donors, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information/receive instructions
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Practices
- Familiarity with CASE Fundraising Standards
- Experience with or ability to develop expertise in CRM and its associated financial platform e.g., Blackbaud
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and programs, including all components of Microsoft Office
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years accounting or bookkeeping experience to include, but not limited to: double-entry accounting (debits, credits), reconciliations, accounts payable, and financial statements
- One (1) year of professional financial experience in a not-for-profit foundation and/or higher-education Advancement setting
- Experience working with relational databases, enterprise financial systems, and large-scale institution
Light Work; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Exertion of forces consistent with sedentary work.
May require some nights, weekends, or early hours
May require some travel
Hours of Work
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm
To view more information and to apply please visit: https://mwsu.peopleadmin.com/
Jobs at Missouri Western State University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Missouri Western State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Missouri Western State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Missouri Western State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Missouri Western State University .