Assistant or Associate ProfessorTenure Status:
Mathematical Sciences - 250500Minimum Qualifications
Areas of Interest (No Minimum Level Required)The ideal candidate will have experience:
- For Fellows of a professional actuarial society: a Master’s degree in Actuarial Science or a closely related field; or, for non-Fellows: an earned doctorate in Actuarial Science or a closely related field and at least 3 passed actuarial exams.
- A minimum of 18 graduate hours of mathematics, statistics or actuarial science coursework.
- Either experience in or documented potential for:
- educating students of varied backgrounds;
- pursuing and using proven pedagogical strategies in the classroom.
- Clear agenda for continuing scholarship.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Teaching actuarial science courses and developing related curriculum.
- Mentoring actuarial science students.
- Developing or maintaining professional relationships between academia and industry.
- Research and scholarly interest to support the actuarial science program
N/ADescription of the Department or Unit
The Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science is housed in the Department of Mathematical Sciences. The program is currently listed as a UCAP-AC program with the Society of Actuaries. The actuarial science faculty include two faculty with credentials, an ASA and FSA, one of which has industry experience. Over the last ten years, the Actuarial Science program has graduated on average 13 students per academic year.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences consists of 29 tenured or tenure-track faculty, as well as more than 30 full- and part-time non-tenure-track faculty. In addition to the Actuarial Science program, the Department offers an undergraduate degree in mathematics with concentrations in business, computation, life sciences, physical sciences, secondary education, and statistics; an undergraduate certificate program in sports analytics; and a master’s degree in mathematics. Over the last ten years, the department has graduated 55 undergraduate and 10 graduate majors each year on average.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Proposed Date of Hire:
- Teaching undergraduate mathematics and/or statistics courses supporting the actuarial science major. The standard teaching load is 18 hours per academic year for research-active faculty and may include teaching online.
- Establishing and maintaining an active program of research or other scholarly activities related to actuarial science.
- Participating in service activities related to the actuarial science program, which may include advising and mentoring students, developing curricula, developing and maintaining professional relationships in the actuarial community, and planning and assessment.
- Other activities needed for faculty governance at the department, college, and university levels.
08/19/2024Suggested Salary Range:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.Closing Date: Open Until Filled:
YesEvaluation of Applications Begins:
12/01/2023To apply, visit https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/42506
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button in each job posting.
Jobs at Appalachian State University.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Appalachian State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Appalachian State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Appalachian State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Appalachian State University.