Associate/Full Professor & Alexandra Greene Ottesen Chair of Curriculum and InstructionPrimary Purpose and Essential Functions:
Benerd College at the University of the Pacific seeks an outstanding educator and leader to serve as the Alexandra Greene Ottesen Chair of Curriculum and Instruction. For this faculty tenure track position, candidates should be eligible for hire at the advanced Associate or Full Professor rank. A specialization in special education is desired. The Chair position is a five-year term, with potential for renewal. We are searching for a colleague with a deep commitment to engaging students in real-world practice through teaching that challenges dominant norms while providing students with the skills necessary to be excellent teachers and dedicated advocates for their students.
At Benerd - diversity, equity, and inclusion are the cornerstone of who we are and what we do. The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment to DEI in all aspects of their work. The successful candidate will also demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching, high-impact research, collaborative leadership, deep service, and the ability to work collaboratively with students, colleagues, and stakeholders. The position will be based at our Stockton Campus, and the incoming candidate will actively participate in our community engagement efforts.
Benerd College, founded in 1924, is one of the oldest universities in California that prepares teachers. Our teacher education unit provides undergraduate through graduate education programs. We partner with local districts and statewide agencies to deliver exceptional teacher preparation. Our education programs are offered programs on all three of Pacific's campuses, San Francisco, Sacramento, and Stockton. We also offer master's and doctoral degrees in leadership. Our Counseling and School Psychology program offers masters, Ed.D, and PsyD degrees. Benerd is also home to Pacific's continuing and professional education programs. We are Pacific's center for international programs and services.Duties
The teaching workload is two courses each semester with an option to teach up to two courses in the summer (preferred but not required). This faculty appointment will also include assisting the Assistant Dean with programmatic responsibilities, program coordination, recruitment, and dissemination of program information. The position will focus on teacher preparation, but may teach across our programs, including in our doctoral programs. This includes involvement in dissertations, master's thesis, student recruitment, community engagement, curriculum development, internal service, and scholarship. Our program requires continual innovation and pushing of traditional boundaries, which results in a heavily collaborative teaching culture.
In collaboration with the Assistant Dean, this position will play a key role in working to build and sustain the teacher preparation program by:
- Facilitating the iteration and assessment of the program and curriculum
Reviewing curriculum, advising students, and other activities
- Building community and regional relationships to advance the program Serving as the primary faculty contact for prospective student
- Presenting and engaging with prospective students at various recruitment events, both in person and online
- Developing faculty and providing opportunities for professional development/collaboration to transform the teaching/learning experience
- Teaching the Department's preservice and advanced methods courses relevant to PK-12 Special Education and be available to teach other related courses in teacher education
As the Ottesen chair, the successful candidate will:
- Maintain a high-impact active research agenda.
- Help to raise the profile of Benerd in the community and nationwide through research partnership development and high-visibility professional engagement.
- Support the development of a Resource Center designed to support new educators.
- Cultivate active engagement, communication, and stewardship with the donor.
University of the Pacific recognizes that diversity, equity, and inclusion is foundational to the success of our valued students and employees. We prioritize policy and decision-making that demonstrates awareness of, and responsiveness to, the ways sociocultural forces related to race, gender, ability, sexuality, socioeconomic status, etc. impede or propel students, faculty, and staff.Minimum Qualifications:
- Doctoral degree in a field related to teacher preparation with a specialization in Special Education.
- Demonstrated prior University teaching experience commensurate with being an Associate of Full profession.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a caring and rigorous educational environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to continual innovation and change.
- Demonstrated ability to collaboratively engage with colleagues in program development and teaching.
- Demonstrated commitment to personal development and growth in one’s own teaching and practice.
- Demonstrated excellence in high-impact scholarly research or evidence-based practice.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in working in partnership with community groups, businesses, government agencies, and other organizations as appropriate to the position.
- Demonstrated successful teaching experience with adult learners.
- Demonstrated commitment to and teaching in diverse settings and working with students from culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
- Demonstrated expertise in analyzing/developing educational policy for innovation and change.
- Demonstrated successful hybrid or online teaching experience.
- Practitioner experience in P/K-12 education.
- Grant writing experience desired.
- Current license or credential to teach special education.
- At least two years of experience teaching PK-12 students with mild/moderate disabilities in both self-contained and inclusive settings.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking climbing stairs, bending, stooping, and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.Special Instructions:
| Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, we will begin reviewing applications after June 30, 2023. Please upload the following:
To apply, visit https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/25883
- A letter of interest explaining
- How minimum and preferred qualifications are met
- Relevant experiences that have prepared you to teach in this type of program
- Description of teaching approach
- Contributions to DEI Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Complete contact information for three (3) Professional References.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at The University of the Pacific.
When inquiring or applying for positions at The University of the Pacific, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at The University of the Pacific and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at The University of the Pacific are posted, please sign up at new job openings at The University of the Pacific.