Assistant Professor, History/Social Studies EducationTenure Status:
History - 250400Minimum Qualifications
Areas of Interest (No Minimum Level Required)
- Ph.D. in History or a related field (ABD will be considered for this position. Evidence of successful defense of the dissertation must be received by July 31 for a fall hire or November 30 for a spring hire.);
- Teaching experience in higher education;
- Active research agenda;
- Ability to teach history courses in area of specialization, as well as courses in history/social studies education;.
- Years of demonstrated teaching experience in high school (9-12) settings and/or developing curriculum work in the discipline expected.
- Content area expertise in history and 9-12 social studies;
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with public schools;
- Experience with supervising and mentoring preservice teacher candidates in the field;
- Understanding of curriculum development and authentic forms of assessment.
None. [Applicants with a valid state-issued teaching license, or eligibility for North Carolina teaching licensure, can mention this in their application.]Description of the Department or Unit
Appalachian State University’s History Department houses one of the largest programs for the education of secondary (9-12) history/social studies teachers in North Carolina. Our program’s mission is to prepare our majors to teach a robust, digitally-infused, and globally-minded history/social studies curriculum. The History Department offers three other undergraduate majors, a master’s degree program, and employs approximately 25 tenure-line faculty members. Additional information about the department, the university, and the surrounding area is located at http://history.appstate.edu
. For information on our History Education Program, visit: http://history.appstate.edu/historyeducation
.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to instructional duties, faculty members are expected to conduct field supervision of student teachers as their History Dept. Academic Content Consultant, participate in service activities that include committee assignments pertinent to the university’s teacher preparation program, and support Appalachian State University’s Strategic Priorities
.Proposed Date of Hire:
08/19/2024Suggested Salary Range:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.Closing Date: Open Until Filled:
YesEvaluation of Applications Begins:
11/20/2023To apply, visit https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/42198
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button in each job posting.
Jobs at Appalachian State University.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Appalachian State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Appalachian State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Appalachian State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Appalachian State University.