Tutor Non-Certified, STEM Learning (Part Time)
Salt Lake Community CollegePosition Title:
Tutor Non-Certified, STEM Learning (Part Time)Open Internally or Externally:
ExternalIf faculty, tenure track status:
Not ApplicableReports to (title):
Coordinator 3, STEM LearningDepartment:
School of Science/Mathematics/Eng-2G0Requisition Number:
Part-Time Staff - VariableFT/PT:
Part-timeInitial Work Location:
Multiple LocationsStarting Salary:
$15.00-$15.49Job Open Date:
05/22/2023Job Close Date: Open Until Filled:
YesPriority Review Date: Job Summary:
The STEM Learning department seeks talented students interested in tutoring science, math, and/or engineering subject areas. We help all SLCC students reach their full potential by supplementing the instruction that they receive in class. Our goal is to provide a productive learning environment that will guide students toward study practices and aides that help them excel both inside and outside of college. Tutors usually work with individual students, though we encourage group activities for students who are studying the same material. Our team offers inclusive, respectful, and innovative assistance to motivate students to achieve their life and professional goals. We expect our new hires to embrace and practice our departmental values and culture. Our department also offers content-specific workshops and project/research-based learning opportunities.This is a pooled position, and the department reviews applications as positions become available.Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
Essential Responsibilities and Duties Continued: Minimum Qualifications: All Tutors
- Complete Salt Lake Community College’s Tutor Education Program, Level One, within one year of hire.
- Provide quality tutoring in your STEM area/s of expertise: Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, and/or Physics.
- Tutor students on campus while maintaining proper cleaning and sanitation procedures.
- Tutor online using Zoom videoconferencing software and Microsoft OneNote digital notetaking software.
- Review class material with students by discussing content in the course’s textbook, working solutions to class problems, and/or reviewing worksheets and other assignments.
- Use Tutor Trac management system to record students’ visits.
- Organize and maintain tutoring environment to promote a productive learning experience to students.
- Provide feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, and build confidence in students.
- Participate in training, development opportunities and other events.
- Promote other department services and events to students during tutoring sessions and resource fairs.
- Maintain regular communication with your supervisor via one-on-one meetings, email, and Microsoft Teams.
- Accurately record tutoring time in your time sheet.
- Assist students with computers and class-related technology including: My Math Lab, Canvas, e Portfolio, Zoom, Adobe software, Lumen OHM, Open Math, and other LMS products, Wi-fi connection
- Refer students to SLCC and community services as necessary.
- Follow all department policies as laid out in the STEM Learning Tutoring Handbook.
- Attend STEM Learning Kickoff annually
- Assist with center inventory as directed by supervisor
- Participate in equity and inclusion initiatives in the department and at the College at large
- Keep center clean and organized as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, to be maintained during employment
- B grade or better in any class you wish to tutor
- Have completed MATH 1050 (College Algebra) with a B grade or better
- Be enrolled in or have completed MATH 1060 (Trigonometry) or higher
- B grade or better in all math coursework
- B grade or better in all Biology, Chemistry, and Math Coursework
- Have completed courses to be tutored within the last 2 years, or have had content exposure in the last two years
- B grade or better in all chemistry and math coursework
- B grade or better in relevant engineering, physics, and math courses
- Currently enrolled at SLCC
- Have completed PHYS 2220 or equivalent with a B grade or better within the last two years
- Have a B.S. in physics or closely related field
A grade or better in any class you wish to tutorPrevious experience tutoring college level studentsFor math tutor applicants: Completed MATH 1040 with a B grade or betterKnowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of the subject matter to be tutored.Ability to communicate the subject matter effectively.Ability to effectively learn and utilize videoconferencing and note-taking applications during tutoring sessions.Ability to learn and apply different learning strategies during tutoring sessions, including active learning and peer-to-peer techniques.Self-motivation and ability to work independently with limited supervision.Empathy for and understanding of the diverse student population in the college.Ability to listen and answer questions during tutoring sessions.Great time management and organizational skills.Ability to set goals and/or expectations during the first few sessions.Ability to provide support for content and concept understanding, not direct answers to graded work (e.g. homework, projects, quizzes, etc.)Be open and available for observations and follow-up conversations.Help students learn how to learn the material.Help students develop or refine their study skills and become independent learners.Demonstrated sensitivity to, respect for, and understanding of the needs of students seeking learning support.Ability to follow written and oral instructions effectively.Ability to be flexible in a constantly changing, fast-moving educational environment.Ability to perform clerical tasks effectively.Ability to work well with others and in a team environment.Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, abilities, cultures, ethnic backgrounds, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.Be knowledgeable of other SLCC resourcesUnderstand STEM Learning and SLCC policies as they apply to tutoring at the CollegeNon-Essential Responsibilities and Duties: Special Instructions: SLCC Highlights:
Salt Lake Community College is Utah’s largest open-access college with the most diverse student body in the state. We proudly educate 45,000+ students pursuing degrees in 100+ programs across 8 areas of study, and Utah’s fastest growing industries and four-year baccalaureate programs consistently welcome SLCC graduates. Every SLCC employee has a hand in transforming students’ lives to strengthen its surrounding communities. SLCC employees work at 11 locations across the valley and capital city of Salt Lake with easy access to the beautiful Wasatch Mountains, world-class outdoor recreation, sporting events, museums, history, and arts and entertainment.Salt Lake Community College seeks and values contributions from eachcommunity member and welcomes new and diverse perspectives. A respectful workenvironment is its top priority; academic excellence and lasting transformationcome about when diverse voices can speak and collaborate freely. As an emergingHSI, SLCC leads the state with the highest enrollment of students from theLatinx/a/o community. SLCC is committed to serving diverse students and being amodel for inclusive and transformative education.FLSA:
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.To apply, please visit: https://jobs.slcc.edu/postings/56024Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at Salt Lake Community College.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Salt Lake Community College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Salt Lake Community College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Salt Lake Community College are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Salt Lake Community College.