Assistant Professor of Graphic Design - Tenure TrackJob no:
496728SUNY Budget Title:
Assistant Professor (10 month) - ARTSalary Level/Grade:
Categories: Faculty & Libraries
Founded in 1835, State University of New York (SUNY) Brockport is an exceptional regional comprehensive public university that offers high-quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the arts, business, education, health, humanities, social sciences, and STEM. The University's curriculum is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and emphasizes experiential learning.
Located only a few miles from Lake Ontario in a quaint “Village on the Erie Canal,” SUNY Brockport is conveniently situated between the cities of Rochester and Buffalo — the fourth and second largest cities in New York State. Inspiring excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation is our mission.
Join the inclusive community of distinguished, dedicated, and renowned faculty who, together with talented staff and eager students, are Building a Better Brockport
. Here are some of our points of distinction and achievements:
- The first African American student to graduate from Brockport, Fannie Barrier Williams, is recognized both as a visionary and one of the most prominent African American women of her generation. The Fannie Barrier Williams Scholars program was created to support and transform the lives of students from low-income families. As a permanent tribute to her incredible advocacy and legacy, the University dedicated the Fannie Barrier Williams Liberal Arts Building in 2022.
- Our AACSB-Accredited School of Business and Management focuses on student experiences like the Wade Student Managed Investment Fund to align student learning with business skill development.
- We offer the only Computer Information Systems (CIS) program in the state that is accredited by ABET.
- We are the only SUNY comprehensive institution to offer the Doctor of Nursing Practice.
- The Writers Forum has brought hundreds of writers—novelists, poets, playwrights, memoirists, screenwriters, cartoonists, and essayists from varied traditions—to the campus. Nobel laureates and Pulitzer winners were among them.
- State (e.g., Department of Environmental Conservation) and federal agencies (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency and National Science Foundation) are funding faculty research, including projects related to the Great Lakes, that engage both undergraduate and graduate students.
- We have strong educational partnerships and connections with school districts, healthcare organizations, and clinical settings throughout the region.
- The Joey Jackson Intercultural Center, named after a Brockport alum who is a prominent criminal defense attorney and CNN legal analyst, was created to provide an inclusive and supportive environment for underrepresented students, to help our faculty members connect with students outside of the classroom, and to provide students with opportunities for leadership development, celebration, and collaborations.
- We engage in cutting edge, meaningful research that will make a difference for practitioners around the world. Students display their scholarship activities during our annual Scholars Day celebration.
- Our faculty are recognized as outstanding educators who utilize the very best pedagogy that higher education has to offer. Brockport hosts three SUNY-recognized Distinguished Professors.
SUNY Brockport has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuality and encourage you to utilize your unique talents and bring your skills as we collaboratively strive to build meaningful lives and vibrant communities. Job Summary:
The Department of Art at SUNY Brockport, State University of New York, invites applications for a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor of Graphic Design beginning August 2024. The department is seeking candidates with strengths in one or more of the following graphic design subspecialities: UI design; Web design; motion design/interactive media design; time-based media, and/or 3D modeling and animation. The candidate is expected to have an interest in becoming an integral member of a teaching environment that blends studio art and design.
The Department of Art consists of eight faculty: five studio artists, one graphic designer, one gallery director, and one art historian. We value a culture of collegiality and involvement at all levels: interpersonal, departmental, and institutional. Student mentorship and student-centered teaching are strengths of our faculty. The department offers a BA/BS in Graphic Design. The department plans to develop a BFA in Graphic Design. Other current degree offerings include BA/BS and BFA degrees in Studio Art for concentrations in: ceramics, drawing, painting, photography, and sculpture. The department also offers minors in Graphic Design, Studio Art, and Art History. Minimum Qualifications:
- Terminal degree (Master of Fine Arts or Master of Design) in Graphic Design or a related field (e.g., Interaction Design, or Visual Communications Design) completed by time of appointment from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized college or university.
- Experience teaching (may include: college level adjunct or teaching assistant experience, or other relevant teaching experience).
- Evidence of professional work demonstrating graphic communication skills.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: UI design; Web design; motion design/interactive media design; time-based media, and/or 3D modeling and animation.
- In-depth knowledge of typography and communication design theory with a demonstrated command of current design processes and software.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with, and motivate, a culturally diverse body of students.
- Professional industry experience in graphic design at a variety of levels.
- Practical knowledge of advertising design, environmental/experiential design, and/or packaging design is beneficial.
- Two to three years teaching at the college level.
- Experience working in a Mac-based lab environment.
- Fluency in, and appreciation of, studio art and art history.
N/A Salary and Benefits:
The minimum salary for this position is $63,000. Benefits eligible; Find out more about benefits at Careers@Brockport!
This position is eligible for visa sponsorship.Application Instructions:
to complete an application including the items below. For best consideration, apply by November 1, 2023. Application materials will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.Additional application instructions for this position:
- Cover Letter of application addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- Resume/Curriculum vitae
- Contact information for 3 current, professional references
- Copy of graduate school unofficial transcript(s) (Official copies required for appointment)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Designer/Artist statement
- Digital portfolio of professional work (or related materials). Ideally portfolios will include 15-20 examples of current work from the past 5-years.
- Evidence of teaching experience and effectiveness including assignment samples and a digital portfolio of 15-20 examples of student work. Student examples should be labeled as to how the work submitted relates to a course assignment.
Portfolios should be PDF format and/or include links to external websites, if necessary to demonstrate video or interactive work. Upload limit is 200 MB.Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check. Pre-Employment Drug Testing:
Pre-employment drug test and DOT physical may be required for positions requiring a valid Class A or B CDL driver's license with passenger endorsement. New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
.Non-Discrimination Statement/Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
SUNY Brockport does not discriminate. SUNY Brockport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the university community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
SUNY Brockport is committed to creating and maintaining an equitable environment that welcomes, values, and supports individuals and communities who affirm human dignity. The University provides opportunities for engagement, learning, growth, and transformation to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution.Reasonable Accommodations:
SUNY Brockport provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans, or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Office of Human Resources or email your request to Tamara Gouger, AVP for Human Resources and ADA Coordinator, at email@example.com
. Determinations or requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The University actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the University. To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.brockport.edu/cw/en-us/job/496728/assistant-professor-of-graphic-design-tenure-trackCopyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at SUNY Brockport. When inquiring or applying for positions at SUNY Brockport, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at SUNY Brockport and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at SUNY Brockport are posted, please sign up at new job openings at SUNY Brockport.