Editor-in-Chief, Quanta Magazine
POSITION SUMMARY The Simons Foundation is conducting a search for Quanta Magazine's next editor in chief. The incoming editor will lead all aspects of the magazine's operation, from content development and delivery to audience strategy to staff management, budgeting and administrative responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished science journalist with a deep understanding of Quanta's public service mission and a lucid vision for building on the magazine's past successes. They must be a superb journalist and editor with extensive leadership experience, impeccable editorial judgment, a track record of mentorship and team building, and the highest standards in journalism, ethics and scientific accuracy.
This is a full-time, in-person position based in our New York City offices.
• Set and communicate strategic vision, editorial direction, priorities and policies.
• Mentor, coach and lead a staff of 20; recruit, develop and retain top journalistic talent.
• Directly manage departmental leaders.
• Lead editorial, enterprise, staff and board meetings.
• Identify exclusive/enterprise opportunities and review proposals and drafts for all major projects.
• Oversee art/video/podcast/interactive strategy and production.
• Top edit feature articles and review production packages prior to publication.
• Manage the budgeting process; review contracts and invoices.
• Review and guide audience development and engagement strategy.
• Set priorities for website development and maintenance tasks.
• Explore partnerships and new opportunities to extend the magazine's reach and impact.
• Represent the magazine internally at the Simons Foundation and publicly at events and online.
• At least 10 years of experience reporting and editing science articles for established journalistic publications. Additional experience reporting on or editing other topics and content types is a plus.
• Demonstrated success as a newsroom manager.
• Must be passionate about fundamental research in physics, math, biology, computer science, and adjacent disciplines, with a demonstrated awareness of current developments in these fields.
• Must be equally passionate and knowledgeable about reporting and writing, visual media, multi-platform journalism, editorial independence and journalistic ethics.
• Must be a superb communicator, facilitator and team player who thrives in a collaborative setting.
• Must be detail-oriented and highly engaged and organized.
• Experience with web publishing platforms, video and podcast production, Web analytics, newsletters, social media and SEO.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Five writing and five editing work samples
• Cover letter
• Vision statement
• Names of five references
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• The full-time annual compensation range for this position is $225,000 to $275,000, depending on experience.
• In addition to competitive salaries, the Simons Foundation provides employees with an outstanding benefits package.
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by theSimons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Quanta was awarded a 2022 Pulitzer Prize in explanatory reporting and a 2020 National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired, The Atlantic and other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
To apply, visit: https://simonsfoundation.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/simonsfoundationcareers/job/915-Broadway/Editor-in-Chief--Quanta-Magazine_R0001422-1
Jobs at the Simons Foundation.
When inquiring or applying for job openings at the Simons Foundation, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with the Simons Foundation and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the Simons Foundation are posted, please sign up for new job openings at the Simons Foundation.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency