Georgia Southern University
Department of Civil Engineering and Construction
Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing
The Department of Civil Engineering and Construction (CEC) in the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing invites applications and nominations for the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor of Construction Engineering and Management.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving over 25,500 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
Within this setting, the CEC department offers BS degrees in Civil Engineering (BSCE), Construction Engineering (BSConE), and Construction (BSCons). The BSCE and BSConE programs are accredited by ABET and the BSCons program is accredited by ACCE. The department also offers an MS in Civil Engineering and a PhD in Engineering. Delivery of the curriculum for each program emphasizes hands-on and experiential learning where students develop practical skills valued by employers. State-of-the-art equipment/instrumentation and advanced software are employed in both classroom and laboratory/field settings to prepare students to be productive technical professionals when they graduate.
Reporting to the department chair, the Assistant Professor will engage in undergraduate and graduate teaching, research responsibilities, and service as needed in the CEC department. The successful candidate will: 1) develop and teach a wide range of construction, civil engineering, and construction engineering courses including but not limited to Building Codes, Cost Estimating, Construction Administration, Quantity Estimating, Mechanical & Electrical Systems, and Construction Surveying; 2) engage in academic mentoring for graduate and undergraduate students; 3) establish and sustain an externally funded research program complementing current research efforts of the CEC department; 4) generate a scholarly publication record; 5) assist in program assessment, accreditation and execution of the department's continuous improvement plan; 6) participate in technical committees and professional activities and organizations; and 7) communicate well, collaborate effectively, and contribute to the mission of the department. The position is a 10-month, tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. While candidates with research interests from all areas of civil engineering and construction will be considered, priority will be given to the following areas: construction management, construction engineering, building system efficiency, building health monitoring, advanced GIS/Geomatics, coastal resilience, remote sensing and deterioration monitoring, natural hazards and disaster mitigation/management.
• Earned terminal degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Construction Management, or a closely related field by July 1, 2024
• Effective communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing a strong and growing research and scholarship agenda and the production of research/creative activities as appropriate to the discipline
• Teaching experience at a higher education institution
• Instructional expertise that complements existing faculty in the department
• Research agenda that complements existing research efforts in the department and college
• A record of publication in leading technical journals
• Ability to collaborate in multi-disciplinary research
• A professional engineering license or the ability to become licensed
• Professional experience (e.g., academic, postdoctoral, industry) in a related field
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins December 4, 2023 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2024. A complete application consists of:
• a cover letter addressing the qualifications cited above;
• a curriculum vitae;
• a brief teaching statement including teaching philosophy, a list of courses the candidate is qualified to teach and develop, and any evidence of teaching effectiveness;
• a brief research statement including an outline of research goals and plans; and
• names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references.
Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Soonkie Nam, Search Chair, Search #67982
Department of Civil Engineering and Construction
Georgia Southern University
More information about the institution is available through https://www.georgiasouthern.edu, https://cec.georgiasouthern.edu, and https://cec.georgiasouthern.edu/cengc. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Jobs at Georgia Southern University. When inquiring or applying for positions within Georgia Southern University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Georgia Southern University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Georgia Southern University are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Georgia Southern University.