Faculty - Assistant Professor-Theatre Lighting Design
Depends on QualificationsJob Type:
12/1/2023 11:59 PM MountainLocation:
800 W University Parkway, OremDivision:
School of the ArtsPosition Announcement
The Utah Valley University School of the Arts invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Lighting Design to join our core undergraduate design and production faculty in the Department of Theatrical Arts for Stage and Screen. The position is an Assistant Professor, tenure track position. The successful candidate will be a dynamic and skilled pedagogue able to teach and mentor various levels of lighting design, with an additional secondary area of design and technology such as projection design, stage management, sound design, or technical direction.
The Department of Theatrical Arts for Stage and Screen offers BFA emphases in Acting, Musical Theatre, and Design/Technology, as well as BA and AA degrees in theatre and a BS in Theatre Education. Located in picturesque Orem, UT, at the base of the Wasatch Mountains and just south of cultural and recreational hubs Salt Lake City, Park City, and Sundance, Utah Valley University is a rapidly expanding, dual-mission teaching university and the largest institution of higher education in Utah.
The School of the Arts has over 1800 students enrolled in over 20 programs, making it one of the largest art schools/colleges in the state. In March 2019, the School of the Arts celebrated the ribbon cutting on the new Noorda Center for the Performing Arts, which houses academic performance seasons and presents a professional performing arts series. In its inaugural seasons, the Noorda has hosted guests such as Bernadette Peters, Audra McDonald, Jason Alexander, Aquila Theatre, Diavolo Dance Company, and others. This year we will be welcoming artists such as Keb' Mo', Renee Elise Goldsberry, and the Utah Symphony.
UVU is committed to inclusion and has established structures at multiple levels of the university to examine and challenge historical inequities and is working towards dismantling systemic discrimination.
The Department of Theatrical Arts embraces UVU's commitment to "strategically recruit, retain, develop, and advance excluded faculty, staff, and executives/administrators at all levels of the university to enrich university life. The search committee encourages those with diverse backgrounds to apply. We welcome applications from candidates whose record of scholarship, teaching, and/or service strengthens the department's ability to offer diverse perspectives and culturally responsive mentorship to our students.Summary of Responsibilities
- Designs and/or teaches assigned courses in the field of Theatre Lighting Design. Prepares and follows an approved course of study with measurable objectives. Prepares instructional materials such as course outlines, syllabi, exams, audio/visual aids, and other instructional materials as necessary. Instructs, manages and supervises individuals and groups in the classroom and studio by the following methods: demonstration, discussion, visual aids, audio aids, video-conference, and field trip/community engagement. Evaluates instruction and learning by means of written, oral, practical, and performance tests. Maintains a student-oriented and engaged approach to education. Maintains and submits accurate and current reports and records regarding student grades, attendance, accountability, and follow up.
- Establishes and maintains office hours and advises students during this time and at other times as needed. Assists theatre department chair, academic advisors, faculty and all theatre department staff in maintaining an effective program. Assists in recruitment, advisement, placement and follow up of students.
- Improves professionally and maintains currency and relevance in the courses taught. Stays abreast of new development trends, techniques, and materials though participation in workshop seminars, professional work experience, and exchange programs with industry professionals to maintain state of the art skills and knowledge.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
MFA or equivalent terminal degree in Lighting Design or a related field; university teaching experience.Preferred Qualifications
The ideal candidate may also possess:
Documents Needed to Apply
- Secondary expertise in one or more of the following: projection design, stage management, sound design, or technical direction;
- Experience with student recruitment;
- Experience with engaged learning opportunities such as the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival or study abroad programming
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement - state how you have incorporated DEI efforts into the classroom.
- Knowledge in current instructional theory, methods, strategies, and techniques
- Knowledge in student management, motivation, and evaluation techniques
- Knowledge of current industry practices;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent Communication skills
- Skills in interpersonal relationships, problem-solving, and decision-making
- Ability to teach and mentor multiple levels of lighting design;
- Ability to adapt teaching to the needs of students of differing backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to relate well with students and colleagues
- Ability to evaluate student work effectively both orally and in writing
UVU employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant's qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/uvu/jobs/4214104/faculty-assistant-professor-theatre-lighting-design
jeid-a05cdba0220329448e94b592750cb2ddCopyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at Utah Valley University.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Utah Valley University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Utah Valley University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Utah Valley University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Utah Valley University.