Assistant Professor - History and Anthropology - United States Urban History
Southeast Missouri State UniversitySalary:
Depends on QualificationsJob Type:
Cape Girardeau, MODepartment:
History and AnthropologyClosing: Position Summary Assistant Professor - Tenure TrackUnited States Urban History Department of History and AnthropologyCollege of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Department of History and Anthropology is searching for an engaging teacher and scholar who can offer introductory and advanced courses in United States Urban History for both majors and non-majors. In addition to working with students enrolled in our History, Social Studies Education, Historic Preservation, Social Science, and MA in Public History programs, our faculty also provide learning opportunities for students in other programs (e.g. Anthropology, Archaeology, Freshman Experience, Southeast Online, Regional Campuses via Zoom, etc.).
The ideal candidate for this position would excel in teaching courses specifically in United States Urban History and contributing to our service course needs. This candidate will also regularly offer lower-level African American History courses, upper-level courses specifically contextualizing the African American experience, and other specializations that complement the department's strengths.
We are particularly interested in applicants with a demonstrable dedication to undergraduate education and with an appreciation of the regional service mission of a mid-sized university. Primary Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and graduate classes, primarily face-to-face with some online
- Recruit and advise students to support retention and completion efforts
- Maintain a schedule of regular office hours
- Attend department meetings and engage in service
- Maintain an active research program with opportunities for student participation
As a public regional university with a graduate mission
- Ph.D. or ABD (with Ph.D. by August 2024) in history or related field (Degree must be from a regionally accredited or internationally accredited/government certified University).
- Graduate training and expertise in US Urban history with demonstrated ability to teach African American history
- Possible secondary area of specialization to include US women's history, labor history, social history, or methodology that complement the department's strengths
- Demonstrated ability, or willingness, to complement departmental initiatives in digital humanities
- Demonstrated ability, or willingness, to contribute to a new minor or other certification for students in Urban Studies
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching face-to-face classes at college/university level as graduate assistant, instructor, or above
- Demonstrated ability or willingness to learn to teach online, Hyflex, and blended courses
- Active research program with opportunities for student involvement
- Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate education and regional service mission of a mid-sized university
- Demonstrated strong communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to collegiality when interacting with others within the University community
, Southeast seeks candidates with a commitment to excellent undergraduate and graduate education and student success within the framework of the teacher-scholar model. Applications of instructional technology and pedagogical research are supported through the Center for Teaching and Learning and the Office of Online Learning. Successful candidates will contribute to the development of innovative curricula and delivery strategies, including traditional, blended, and online formats, and participate in initiatives promoting student success, retention, and degree completion. Required Information & Deadline Application Deadline:
The position is available in August 2024
and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by October 31, 2023.To Apply
: Submit the following items by clicking on the APPLY
button at the top of the page:
Additional Information About Southeast Missouri State University (SEMO):
- Letter of interest addressing required position qualifications
- Statement of teaching philosophy and research agenda (maximum 1-page total)
- Current curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts are required when offer of employment is accepted)
- Contact information for three professional references
Founded in 1873 and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Southeast Missouri State University provides student-centered education and experiential learning with a foundation of liberal arts and sciences, embracing a tradition of access, exceptional teaching and commitment to student success that significantly contributes to the development of the region and beyond. SEMO values access to high quality, affordable education with a broadly representative student body, faculty and staff that respects and celebrates a diverse learning community in a global society.
SEMO Fact Book: Institutional Research Factbook
SEMO Strategic Action Plan: Strategic Action PlanTo apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/semoedu/jobs/4197072/assistant-professor-history-and-anthropology-united-states-urban-history
Southeast Missouri State University is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and to the principles of affirmative action. In accordance with this commitment, and in compliance with the requirements of applicable laws, it is the policy of the University to provide equal opportunity for all applicants and employees in its employment practices, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. The University believes that a diverse University community advances the academic purposes of the University and enhances the working and learning environment.
jeid-7d28eed679d7aa4fa2bee59d1294bdb2Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How to Apply: Please click the "Apply Now" button below.
Jobs at Southeast Missouri State University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Southeast Missouri State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Southeast Missouri State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Southeast Missouri State University are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Southeast Missouri State University