D’Youville has an outstanding opportunity for a Simulation Center Director to drive simulation throughout a soon to be completed 60,000 square foot new building, the Health Professions Hub. The ideal candidate will be a forward-moving visionary in simulation education to innovate and create simulations for health professions and a myriad of other workforce development areas. The Simulation Center Director will develop endless possibilities of simulation sessions throughout the entire building, both for internal departments and external clients; e.g. mass emergency experiences in the large event/conference area, clinical in-situ, medically assisted rehabilitation gym emergencies, fire prevention in the demonstration kitchen, along with ongoing health professions simulations emphasizing team collaboration and improved patient safety.
The hallmark of the over $20 million dollar building design is that it will revolutionize setup, management and operations of all simulation environments. The building includes a 10,000 sq.ft. internal simulation studio and hardwired technology to utilize cameras, microphones and audio outputs making the entire building accessible for simulation! We will also maximize the use of internally provided custom built systems to gather data, track usage of the equipment, and success of every individual experience and maximize learning opportunities.
This new Health Professions HUB will offer a primary care clinic, a rehabilitation and wellness center, a simulation studio, demonstration kitchen and educational and workforce development opportunities for the surrounding neighborhood.
To date over 35 faculty from D’Youville’s four schools: Health Professions (PT, OT, PA, Dietetics, Chiropractic, Exercise and Sport Studies, Health Administration and Public Health), Pharmacy, Nursing, and Arts, Sciences and Education, have developed and implemented interprofessional simulations in the current simulation space at both the undergraduate and graduate level. The college is committed to continuing this trajectory of innovative simulation based pedagogy to offer the best in class learning environments to our learning communities.
The HUB is being constructed to directly address healthcare workforce shortages and post graduate communication skills with the training of Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Personable Protection and Safety (TeamSTEPPS); hands-on experiential learning, virtual reality exercises, and a community health clinic for the underserved. The Director of Simulation will start June 2020, reporting to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
D’Youville is an innovative, private, coeducational institution serving 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students on the vibrant West Side of Buffalo, NY. Under new leadership, D’Youville is immersed in ambitious change initiatives to further grow enrollment, improve health outcomes, and profoundly impact student success. Comprehensive strategic planning underway includes academic planning, technology planning, and significant investments in vital updates to campus facilities. Dedicated to building thriving, healthy communities, D’Youville is nurturing new and existing community partnerships.
Buffalo, the second largest city in New York, is home to 21 institutions of higher education, numerous cultural attractions, two professional sports teams, and year-round outdoor activities. D’Youville is located in close proximity to Lake Erie, Niagara Falls, and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Designs and supervises the operational and technology infrastructure for simulation education in collaboration with the Director of the IT Pulse Center to assure simulation technologies integrate with overall IT infrastructure
- Under the direction of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, develops policies and procedures for function of the Simulation Center to support the mission, vision and strategic plan of D’Youville
- Directs all activities and staff in the Simulation Center.
- In conjunction with the IPEC Steering Committee and the Director of Interprofessional Practice and Education, establishes and implements the strategic plan for the simulation center
- Provides organized, best-practice teaching and learning environments for the faculty, students and community learners
- Develops and maintains Simulation Center operating and capital budgets in collaboration with the VPAA and the Director of the IT Pulse Center
- Engages community partners and generate new revenue through simulation training opportunities.
- Creates staffing plans, hires, supervises and manages performance of simulation center staff
- Manages staff responsibilities, scheduling, assigns projects and coordinates staff collaboration with faculty
- Lead marketing efforts of the simulation center
- Identify opportunities to secure additional resources via foundation, government and other grant programs.
- Perform other duties as required to support the ongoing mission and strategic plan of D’Youville.
- Oversees purchasing/inventory/equipment maintenance by working with vendors regarding instructional material, equipment and supplies to assure most pedagogically-sound and cost-effective equipment for student use.
- Coordinates and evaluates software and equipment and recommends repair, replacement, rental and/or purchase.
- Models and instructs faculty, staff, and students in the safe use of all equipment.
- Maintains federal safety standards with regard to the use of equipment.
- Oversees, participates in, and contributes to a safe learning environment, keeps current with safety regulations, provides training and enforcement of safety regulation policies and procedures; inspects and maintain safety equipment.
SIMULATION-BASED EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC SUPPORT
- Uses research findings and educational strategies related to simulation in both clinical and non-clinical education
- Participates in the application of learning strategies used in simulation and learning by:
- Assuring access to scheduled, supervised practice sessions
- Providing simulation education experience for faculty and staff
- Consults on simulation development, design, and curriculum integration for D’Youville
- Serves as resource to faculty in development and evaluation of educational materials and the integration of simulation into the curriculum.
- Provide support for all data collection for metrics of the simulation studio and to support faculty research re: simulation curricula
- Assists in developing, presenting, and evaluation programs on specific skills and/or techniques; evaluates ongoing programs and recommends appropriate modifications.
- Assists faculty in identifying new concepts, techniques, and materials and incorporates these into the Center as appropriate.
- Provide ongoing support in quality assurance and best practices in simulation
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Academic Affairs and others to meet accreditation requirements and state and federal rules and regulations. Conducts orientation programs for students and faculty
- Oversees external and internal communication/imaging and outreach.
- Conducts and participates in tours of the Simulation Center
- Creates strategic partnerships with community agencies, local healthcare organizations, and professional associates to promote the Simulation Center
- Consults on simulation development, design, and curriculum integration for professional agencies and clinical agencies.
- Equivalent experience to a Masters Degree or higher from accredited college or university in education, instructional design, simulation, or related field.
- License/Certification (s): Desirable: Certified Health Simulation Educator (CHSE) or CHSOS, TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer
- Five (5) or more years of experience with simulation and technology support.
- Five (5) or more years of experience with academic and instructional technology support.
- Two (2) or more years of experience management of a facility/department. Two (2) or more years of experience developing simulation scenario content
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com