|Position Type||Civil Service|
|Classification Title||Steam & Power Plant III|
|Position's Functional Title||Operating Engineer|
|Position Start Date||03/16/2020|
|Position End Date (if temporary)|
Responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of all power plant and related equipment required for proper physical plant operation, the Steam and Power Plant III is responsible for performing a variety of engineering and maintenance tasks for Facilities Development and Management. Perform tasks and functions to maintain and operate the campus and dorms in accordance to the mission statement of the University.
• (25%) Perform activities related to the proper start-up, and shutdown of 17 boilers, and all related equipment, over 100 HVAC units, 6 water softener systems, 7 chillers, 220 tons of Variable Refrigerant Flow systems, maintain air and water supply pressures in main and out buildings.
• (25%) Perform preventative maintenance and repair 17 boilers, and all related equipment, over 100 HVAC units, 6 water softener systems, 7 chillers, 220 tons of Variable Refrigerant Flow systems repair fire protection equipment in the complex. Able to braze 410A refrigerant lines, install compressors and other related refrigeration components, troubleshoot HVAC and BAS Systems.
• (20%) Install new piping and repair all existing plumbing equipment associated with hydronic, water, and fire protection systems; pull maintenance (take equipment off-line) on all plumbing equipment.
• (10%) Enact procedures for testing boiler water, hot and cold domestic water, chilled and condenser water, and swimming pool water, according to Regulated State Guidelines; determine from these tests the quantity of chemicals to be added to the system to maintain water balance within these limits; maintain records Perform NFPA and ANSI required testing on Fire systems and eye washes.
• (10%) Operate building temperature and lighting controls using the Siemens and GE Lighting Energy Management Systems. Monitor 26 mission critical HVAC systems.
• (5%) Make replacement keys and repair hardware and locks associated with all doors, cabinets, and desks in the complex as well as program electronic access doors.
• (5%) Other duties as assigned.
Other Responsibilities :
• Demonstrate knowledge and good judgment in matters of University policy and procedures.
• Enact procedures according to Regulated State Guidelines and Illinois Department of Labor Regulations.
• Maintain a healthy, safe and comfortable teaching/learning/working environment.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
• Perform tasks outdoors regardless of extremes in hot or cold temperatures.
• Contact with chemicals.
• Ability to perform duties sitting, standing, bending, lifting, and carrying for extended periods of time.
• Able to reach, grasp, grip and move materials, items and equipment in the performance of job duties.
• Able to occasionally lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
• Able to climb and work ladders and scaffolding.
• Ability to work on overhead equipment.
• Requires correctable to 20/20 vision and a minimal degree of hearing (can be hearing impaired).
Travel is occasionally required in this position.
Starting Salary: $81,332.16
(This is a negotiated position. Salary starts as indicated in the collective bargaining agreement).
1. Resident of the state of Illinois.
2. High school graduation or equivalent. (PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “OTHER").
3. Two years (24 months) of experience in the maintenance and operation of steam and power plant equipment.
4. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience in a position comparable to the next lower level of the series.
5. Possession of current/valid licenses and certificates, as required by the employing institution as listed:
• Must have a valid City of Chicago Stationary Engineer’s License. (PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “CERTIFICATION/PROFESSIONAL LICENSE").
• Must have a valid Illinois State Driver’s License.
• Knowledge in the theory and principles of boiler, air conditioning, refrigeration and air compressor operation with the ability and skills to apply that knowledge.
• Must be able to perform plumbing and pipefitting tasks.
• Basic skills in welding, braising and soldering all types of metals.
• Plumbing pneumatic, refrigeration, electrical applications, and trouble shooting skills are required.
• Previous experience in a similar environment.
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Type of Search||External|
|Quicklink for Posting||http://employment.govst.edu/postings/5021|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
Employment is contingent upon a physical and background clearance.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to provide electronic documentation that verifies that the following minimum qualifications of this Civil Service position have been met:
• online Civil Service application, including dates of employment, applicable full-time and part-time employment (percentage), and specific duties and responsibilities).
• cover letter
• high school graduation or equivalent. (PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “OTHER").
• college/university transcripts (IF APPLICABLE, PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS).
• City of Chicago Stationary Engineer’s License. (PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “CERTIFICATION/PROFESSIONAL LICENSE").
• list of three professional references
**Please note the following:
• Due to the high volume of applications received, only the college/university transcripts/certification submitted/attached electronically to this posting will be used for the review and the consideration of this vacancy.
• If you are a Veteran, you may be eligible to receive Veteran’s Preference Points on a passing examination score, by submitting proof of eligibility to the Department of Human Resources, such as a copy of your DD214/DD215 form (Department of Defense), NGB22 form (National Guard), or Discharge Orders or DD256 Discharge Certificate (Reserves) by the closing date.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Governors State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com