English as a Second Language (ESL) Professor
2/20/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Full time faculty, 177 days, tenure track as a community college English as a Second Language (ESL) Professor. The teaching assignment will include regular assignment to ESL courses, traditional classroom environment, and/or online, primarily at the main campus in Imperial. The college also offers courses in dual enrollment at local high schools and at local correctional facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Teach courses in English a a Second Language (ESL).
* Demonstrate versatility in instructional methodology and technology and the ability to serve diverse student populations.
* Plan, develop, and implement course curricula including curricula to be delivered via distance learning.
* Update course materials and course outlines of record.
* Develop, maintain, and assess student learning outcomes.
* Maintain a current syllabus and provide current course orientation materials for each assigned course.
* Keep current and accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and scholastic progress.
* Post and maintain scheduled office hours.
* Attend and actively contribute to meetings or activities pertinent to faculty responsibilities or assignments including but not limited to department meetings, advisory committee meetings, and academic senate.
* Participate in recruiting and articulation activities with local schools, other community colleges, and four-year colleges.
* Use media aids, the library, and other resources as appropriate.
* Maintain currency in subject matter and developments in the field.
* Communicate with students and staff in a professional manner.
* Be familiar with and observe the Faculty Association Collective Bargaining Agreement and applicable IVC Board Policies and Administrative Procedures.
* Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Master's in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis or education with a TESL emphasis
Bachelor's in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND master's in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading, speech or any foreign language
OR the equivalent.
* Demonstrated excellence in teaching English a a Second Language (ESL) and other related areas.
* Be or become certified to develop and teach courses online using Canvas.
* Demonstrated excellence in teaching online classes.
* Experience in developing new courses and laboratory applications.
* Experience with or interest in teaching using distance learning instructional technologies.
* Commitment to maintain currency in the discipline, including use of advanced technology required in the discipline.
* Ability and willingness to work effectively with community support groups, college committees, and other campus organizations and to be involved in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
* An understanding of the advantages and challenges for developing a quality program in (discipline) at a rural community college.
* Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with others in a team environment.
* Enthusiasm for working with students having a wide range of skills, motivation, and academic or occupational goals.
* Ability to deliver instruction using strategies designed for diverse learning styles.
* Demonstrated ability to design goals and assess learning outcomes.
IMPORTANT: To be considered for the position applying for, applicants must submit the required items by the deadline, which include: online IVC application, current resume, and ALL unofficial transcripts (transcripts must show degree was awarded or conferred with a completion date). All attachments will be uploaded into the online application. Applications which do not include all of the required materials will not be forwarded to the screening committee for consideration. Materials submitted become property of the District and will not be returned, copied, or considered for other openings.
For all Faculty (Full-Time & Part-Time) positions: If you do not meet the minimum qualifications requirements, you must fill out the equivalency form and submit with your application packet. Failure to do so, may result in a disqualification of your application. It is the applicants' responsibility to submit the completed equivalency form. You can find the equivalency form here (Download PDF reader).
Initial salary placement is depending upon education and experience, not to exceed step 6 of the column placement. Please click here to view the 177-day salary schedule.
Imperial Valley College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Employer/employee paid medical coverage options, dental, vision, and life insurance. For additional information, click here (Download PDF reader).
Earned annual sick leave.
Earned annual vacation leave for classified and confidential classified employees.
Enrollment in a California Retirement System.
Are you requesting equivalency? (If so, equivalency form must be attached to application.)
Please answer the following questions specifically and completely. These supplemental questions will be used with other application materials to screen applicants for interview. Applicants should submit at least one well-developed paragraph for each pf the supplemental questions. Answers should be thoughtful, substantive, carefully edited and may be much longer than one paragraph. If your response exceeds the maximum 600 character limit, you may continue your response by attaching an additional typed document. Please make sure to identify the questions by number. I have read and understand the above statements.
Supplemental Question A: Please describe what you consider to be the most important qualifications you have that would especially qualify you to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Supplemental Question B: What values or qualities would you bring to Imperial Valley College that would make a positive contribution to the campus?
Supplemental Question C: How would you ensure inclusiveness and diversity in your daily activities?
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/imperialedu/jobs/2689706/english-as-a-second-language-esl-professor
The Imperial Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and will implement a comprehensive program to put those principles into practice. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender identity, physical disability, mental disability, ancestry, sexual orientation, language, accent, citizenship status, transgender status, parental status, marital status, economic status, veteran status, medical condition, ancestry, political or organizational affiliation, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. The District will strive to achieve a workforce that is welcoming to men, women, persons with disabilities and individuals from all ethnic and other groups to ensure the District provides an inclusive educational and employment environment. Such an environment fosters cooperation, acceptance, democracy and free expression of ideas.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Imperial Valley College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com