ASL InterpreterJob no:
495872SUNY Budget Title:
Staff AssistantSalary Level/Grade:
Management & Professional
Located in Western New York, State University of New York College at Brockport is a nationally recognized and accredited public institution with competitive state health insurance and retirement plan options. SUNY Brockport also includes Brockport Downtown and sponsors the Rochester Educational Opportunity Center (REOC), both located in Rochester, NY. We are an inclusive employee-oriented university. Be yourself and start your career here. Help us build a better Brockport! Job Summary:
SUNY Brockport is accepting applications for temporary ASL Interpreter positions. The ASL Interpreter will provide interpreting and transliteration services for SUNY Brockport and REOC stakeholders who are Deaf/hard of hearing in classrooms, lectures, labs, clinicals, internships, field experiences, advising meetings, student organization meetings, College ceremonies and events, etc. This position offers opportunities for a very flexible, per diem schedule based on the 24/7 x 365 operating hours of the College.
Review course materials to prepare for providing accurate interpreting services for students who are Deaf/hard of hearing; which could include reviewing syllabi, specific terminology, course textbooks, legal and medical materials, and other methods of reference.
Act as college resource regarding honoring the culture of ASL and promoting optimal communication strategies (etiquette, turn taking, vocabulary, aspects of visual-gestural languages and interpreting issues).
Interpreters will be required to maintain a plan of professional development for ongoing Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. (RID) certification, National Association of the Deaf (NAD) certification, and/or National Interpreter Certification (NIC). Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree by time of appointment from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education or an internationally recognized college or university.
- Minimum of one year of signing experience.
- Must possess a current and ongoing Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. (RID) certification, National Association of the Deaf (NAD) certification, and/or National Interpreter Certification (NIC).
- Demonstrated ability to provide expressive and receptive communication modalities used by the student who is deaf or hard of hearing such as ASL, Signed English, and/or tactile interpreting.
- Demonstrated ability to provide expressive transliterating/interpreting at a rate commensurate with conversational speech and class lectures and in clinial settings, which may or may not include medicine, laboratory skills, and nursing.
- Demonstrated ability to provide reverse interpreting/transliterating skill while maintaining the integrity of the message and competence of English grammar, including syntax, spelling, and punctuation.
- Confidence providing interpreting services for graduate level courses, which may or may not include sciences, business, statistics, etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with the Deaf community.
- Be able to interpret back-to-back classes/meetings with only short breaks in between.
- Be willing to provide interpreting services for both in-person classes and online classes via virtual platforms such as Teams, Zoom, Blackboard, etc.
As needed Salary, Benefits, and Appointment:
Not benefits eligible. This is a temporary per diem appointment, as needed. Application Instructions:
and search staff jobs to complete an application which includes the following: (1) cover letter that addresses required and preferred qualifications; (2) resume; (3) contact information for three professional references; and (4) a video demonstrating your interpreting skills. Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check. New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Diversity Statement:
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College's commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success. SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College. To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.brockport.edu/cw/en-us/job/495872/asl-interpreterCopyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at SUNY Brockport. When inquiring or applying for positions at SUNY Brockport, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at SUNY Brockport and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at SUNY Brockport are posted, please sign up at new job openings at SUNY Brockport.