I. JOB SUMMARY:
D’Youville College is rapidly growing our online course offerings. We are seeking an outstanding Online Instructional Designer to work under the direction of the Director of Online Learning, and Dean of Online Learning to, support the College’s goal of delivering high-quality online and hybrid/blended courses. The department’s mission is to develop and maintain online and hybrid/blended learning services and support the integration of technology into instruction at the college in support of the D'Youville College mission and strategic plan objectives. The Online Instructional Designer will provide pedagogical and instructional design support to our faculty. The position will also provide front-end administration of the campus Learning Management System (LMS), and related technology systems used to facilitate learning. Cross training with other department staff and IT division staff will be expected to provide seamless service. Documenting services, knowledge base for frequently experienced difficulties is expected.
II. PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Reports to the Director of Online Learning
- Works collaboratively with faculty and other course creators to produce engaging learning activities and compelling course content that enhances retention and transfer of learning
- Acts as a Canvas LMS Graphical User Interface (GUI) Administrator
- Provides consultation, project management, and troubleshooting for the integration of technology in the curriculum in web-enhanced, hybrid, and fully online courses
- Develop and disseminate customized professional development opportunities (e.g., workshops, facilitated cooperative engagement, group and individual training) both online and in-person
- Knowledge and experience with online quality assurance practices such as Quality Matters, and does Course Design Reviews giving feedback to faculty course creators for improvement.
- Cross trains with other members of the department as well as IT services.
- Carry out any other assignments given by the Director of Online Learning or Dean of Online Learning.
III. OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Evaluate instructional media tool(s) and social media tools
- Conduct instructional research and analysis on learners and contexts
- Ensures that NY State and federally-mandated requirements are met in the online offerings, e.g. Section 508 Amendment to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Provide support to Online Learning students, faculty & staff (help desk) - orientation, troubleshooting, and install support.
- Set up student and faculty accounts on Online Learning servers, and maintain these account records in a database.
- Maintain up-to-date field knowledge through professional development opportunities as needed
- Provide technical support to multi-media users on post production of digital video.
- Make purchases, keep track of purchase orders, and check on delivery of items when needed for Online Learning department
IV. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Supporting the College’s Mission is required
- Customer service orientation and experience
- Knowledge of instructional design as it relates to the higher education online classroom.
- Ability to acclimate to new systems in preparation for administrative duties as well as the training of the system user groups
- Comfort & competence working with a larger team
- Self-starter with the organizational competence to adhere to project timelines
- Organizational skills include the use of project management systems
Preferred and Required Qualifications
- Work at a college or university with an LMS product (Backboard, Moodle, Canvas etc.)
- Experience as a trained course reviewer using a recognized rubric (Quality Matters, OSCAR from the SUNY system, OLC or equivalent.
V. JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or an equivalent of a bachelors with credits and related experience.
- A master’s degree is preferred
Experience working in customer service with technology supporting users is required.
Preferred: Experience in an education setting or position; developing online learning and instructional environments; using a learning management system; designing original curriculum, coursework; developing high-end skills in web 2.0 tools and social media with a deeper expertise in at least one of the following: developing original coursework, training programs, or learning management systems; provide evidence of project management skill set; provide evidence of satisfactory positive feedback from constituents served.
Prior experience teaching in an online environment and/or designing and creating courses is preferred.
Location: Buffalo, NY
For full consideration, interested candidates should submit 1) a cover letter, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) a list of 3-5 references that can be contacted if necessary.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com