Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applicants to teach undergraduate course(s) specific to Musical Theatre Dance. As adjunct faculty, they will work with theatre faculty to plan, implement, and evaluate musical theatre curriculum, and related activities.
The Theatre Arts program is a nationally recognized program with an innovative curriculum, an ambitious production season, and a commitment to excellence and opportunity for students and greater community.
Successful candidates for this position will possess a high level of musical theatre dance expertise, initiative, self-motivation, commitments to safety and diversity, and be able to work collaboratively and professionally with faculty, staff, and students. The applicant will provide opportunities for students to develop knowledge and dance skills necessary for the University’s musical theatre productions as well as for their future careers in professional theatre.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is an independent Methodist-affiliated liberal arts university of approximately 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students in Lincoln, Nebraska. The University’s steadfast commitment to putting learning into action through internships, study abroad, service learning and collaborative research has yielded tremendous outcomes for students and alumni.
TEACHING: Plans, develops, presents, and assesses organized musical theatre dance opportunities for students, beginning and advanced, in topics relating to the required and approved curriculum of the department. Musical Theatre Dance I. Musical Theatre Dance 2. Ballet I.
COMMUNICATION: Assures effective two-way communication at all levels of responsibility. Provides out-of-classroom communication opportunities with students. Participates in department and university meetings and activities on a limited basis. Represents the university to external constituencies as appropriate. Seeks always to promote a spirit of collegiality in dealings with university staff and students.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Maintains competency and currency in dance training and the subject matter of courses taught and in teaching skills.
FACILITY: Assumes responsibility for the orderliness of the learning environment and the appropriate and safe use of instructional facilities and equipment.
· Master’s degree in dance or dance education preferred; or Master’s degree in theatre with coursework in dance; or Bachelor’s degree in dance or theatre with substantial professional dance and/or dance education experience.
· Evidence of successful teaching with undergraduate students preferred.
· Recognize that professional musical theatre dance may incorporate many dance genres and thus be able to teach fundamental and advanced skills in: ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, hip-hop, etc…
· Ability to help students prepare for professional auditions by teaching standard dance combinations they are likely to encounter.
· An appreciation for liberal arts education.
· Demonstrated commitment to student academic and artistic achievement at all levels, beginning and advanced, and have the ability to work with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and diverse populations.
· Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills, and the ability to create a welcoming, inclusive classroom environment.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students.
· Strong commitment to student-centered active learning and student engagement activities.
Commitment to Diversity
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
How to Apply
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please visit the NWU website for more information about our institution: nebrwesleyan.edu