Assistant Director, Development and Alumni Relations, Graduate School of Education (Hybrid Eligible)University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination or a University authorized exemption is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Assistant Director, Development and Alumni Relations, Graduate School of Education (Hybrid Eligible)Job Profile Title
Alumni Officer AJob Description Summary
Reporting to the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, the Assistant Director is the main point of contact for Penn GSE's 19,000+ alumni and plays an important role in the development of the School's alumni donor pipeline. The Assistant Director will assist the Director in envisioning and implementing a multi-year strategic plan for alumni engagement and donor prospect discovery.Job Description
Partnering across Penn GSE and the University, the Assistant Director will identify opportunities for alumni volunteerism, such as advisory boards, webinar and real time event speakers, or mentorship programming. He/she/they will also analyze the student to alumni process and envision a plan for how the office might better interact with students as they are graduating, in order to update their contact information, identify their preferred volunteer opportunities, and educate them on the work of the office. As the key event planner for alumni social events, the Assistant Director will envision and plan yearly Homecoming and Reunion Weekend events, and assist the Director in planning and implementing other cultivation events. He/she/they will also develop a plan to reinvigorate the Alumni Leadership Board, while also liaising with partners across GSE to assist them in planning gatherings for their program-specific advisory boards. Ideally, the Assistant Director will also identify ways of tracking engagement so that its growth can be tracked as new engagement tools are implemented. This role will also serve as the primary liaison to both the University Alumni Relations team, but also with Penn GSE's Career Services and Admissions Staff - working across the School to promote alumni ambassadorship. The Assistant Director will also assist as needed with other events, including the Board of Advisors thrice yearly meetings.
Penn GSE is committed to cultivating a workplace that values equity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We seek talented individuals who will help lead our efforts to create a more inclusive workplace in a community with a substantive institutional commitment to equity and justice. Diversity is prized at Penn and integral to our mission to creating and maintaining an education and work environments that support the University's commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship.Responsibilities:
- Help to oversee the implementation of a strategy for engaging alumni over the next 3+ years that includes, but is not limited to, developing strategic outcomes, creating a model for identifying and leveraging alumni relationships, identifying and implementing opportunities for engagement, evaluating the student to alumni process, working with other schools and centers on collaborative programing and initiatives, and other needs as identified by the Director of Alumni and Donor Relations and the Vice Dean.
- Identify and support the ongoing, changing needs of Penn GSE's alumni body and utilize demographic data and trends to steer programming, identification, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Serve as the main event planner for all alumni engagement events, virtual and in-person, including yearly Homecoming and Reunion Weekend events, and assist with other cultivation-related events.
- Oversee opportunities for alumni engagement across the school, such as an alumni ambassadors program in partnership with Admissions/Student Services, department and program-specific advisory boards, and opportunities to speak with students.
- Serve as team liaison to Central University Alumni Relations
- Produce regular e-communications/newsletters for Alumni community.
A bachelor's degree and 2-3 years of experience is required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional requirements include:
All applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter.
- 2-3 years of experience in development. Experience in annual giving, alumni relations and/or volunteer management strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong detail orientation and the ability to work as a strategist, contributor and collaborator.
- Exemplary professional judgment and the ability to communicate with tact and sensitivity with a broad range of constituencies including donors, faculty and senior administrators.
- Creativity and project management skills, with a proven ability to work independently, balance multiple concurrent priorities and collaborate effectively in a large, complex institutional setting.
- Reflection of the core values of the GSE DAR Team, which include ingenuity and adaptability, respect for the roles and responsibilities of DAR and GSE colleagues, a teamwork mentality, and transparency in communication.
Penn GSE actively seeks and welcomes people of color, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, persons with disabilities, and people at intersections of these identities, to apply.Job Location - City, State
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.Department / School
Development and Alumni RelationsPay Range
$43,919.00 - $66,183.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3440-Market-Street/Assistant-Director--Development-and-Alumni-Relations--Graduate-School-of-Education--Hybrid-Eligible-_JR00070259Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How to Apply: Please click the "Apply Now" button below or visit: https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn
Jobs at the University of Pennsylvania. When inquiring or applying for positions within the University of Pennsylvania, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at the University of Pennsylvania and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of Pennsylvania are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at the University of Pennsylvania.