Veterinary Nurse Wards, Penn Vet, Ryan HospitalUniversity Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination or a University authorized exemption is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Veterinary Nurse Wards, Penn Vet, Ryan HospitalJob Profile Title
Veterinary Technician AJob Description Summary
The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine is a global leader in veterinary education, research, and clinical care. Founded in 1884, the School is a proud member of the One Health initiative, linking human, animal, and environmental health. http://www.vet.upenn.edu/
Located on the beautiful and vibrant campus of the University of Pennsylvania, Penn Vet's Ryan Veterinary Hospital in Philadelphia provides care for dogs, cats, and other domestic/companion animals, handling more than 30,000 patient visits a year, some 9,000 of which are emergency cases. Ryan Hospital is a Level One Trauma Facility certified by Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society (VECSS).
As a valued member of Penn Vet's Ryan Hospital, you will work in a supportive environment where you will have professional growth opportunities. If you are a skilled Veterinary Nurse who is passionate about caring for animals, interested in further developing your skills and working with an elite team of clinicians then Penn Vet is the place for you.Job Description
As a valued member of Penn Vet's Ryan Hospital, you will work in a supportive environment where you will have professional growth opportunities. If you are a skilled Veterinary Nurse who is passionate about caring for animals, interested in further developing your skills and working with an elite team of clinicians, then Penn Vet is the place for you.
Responsibilities for this nursing position include:
- Oversee all patients in Fluids, Surgery, Internal Medicine and Isolation Wards
- Manage patients on intravenous fluids or any cases that exceed Fluids Ward capacity that will need to be housed in Surgery Wards
- Manage pre & post op patients: Soft Tissue, Orthopedics, Neurology, Dentistry, Ophthalmology
- Oversee and assist with setting up emergency pick-ups and ICU transfers.
- Assist in managing isolation cases such as respiratory and Parvo if needed.
- Triage of all inpatients including physical assessments, passive range of motion, etc.
- Make recommendations regarding comfort and pain management
- IVC placement, urinary catheter placement
- Administer all forms of medications
- Venipuncture, Lab Work submissions
- Instructing 4th year veterinary students and Harcum College nursing students
- Maintain communication with clinicians, students & nurses with necessary patient updates, concerns & follow ups
- Receive nursing rounds at the beginning of each shift and provide nursing rounds at the end of each shift
- Utilize EMR INSTINCT and CUREATR hospital text messaging systems as applicable.
- Oversee the organization of stock and the cleanliness of all Wards as needed.
Weeknights: Monday -Thursday 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.Sign-On BonusThis position is eligible for a sign-on incentive of $1,000. Please contact Rosemary Lombardi, Director of Nursing at email@example.com, Emily Savino, Assistant Director of Nursing at firstname.lastname@example.org or Amy Muller, Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist at email@example.com regarding this position and the sign-on incentive. Qualifications
Must be a CVT, or board eligible.
Veterinary Technician A: CVT or board eligible--must sit for boards within 3 months of hire. 0-1 year experience
Veterinary Technician B: CVT and 2-3 years of experience
Veterinary Technician C: CVT and 3-5 years of experience
Veterinary Technician D: CVT and 5-8 years of experience
Veterinary Technician E: CVT and 8 + years of experience Minimum starting salaries increase with each level. Relevant education, experience, skills, and licenses/ certifications are among the factors considered in salary offers. Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
School of Veterinary MedicinePay Range
$15.79 - $22.76
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Ryan-Veterinary-Hospital/Veterinary-Nurse-Wards--Penn-Vet--Ryan-Hospital_JR00068781Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How to Apply: Please click the "Apply Now" button below or visit: https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn
Jobs at the University of Pennsylvania. When inquiring or applying for positions within the University of Pennsylvania, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at the University of Pennsylvania and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of Pennsylvania are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at the University of Pennsylvania.