University of La Verne
Associate Vice President of Strategic Communications
Job Description Summary:
The Associate Vice President of Strategic Communications provides leadership for the university with regard to all its communications, as well as leadership and management for the Office of Strategic Communications (OSC) team. Working under the Vice President for University Advancement, the AVP has two over-arching communication goals: to enhance and manage the reputation of the University of La Verne and support recruitment and retention efforts for traditional undergraduate students, graduate students and working adult students.
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement. If you're passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
- Build relationships across the university for partnership with OSC as the creative unit that is responsible for communications that support reputation and enrollment goals for the University. Engage diverse university departments to build consensus and alignment for the university identity (brand). Develop strategic communication plans with measurable goals detailing use of PR, advertising, web, publications, social media, etc. to achieve key goals of recruitment, retention, and reputation for the five colleges, Regional & Online Campuses (ROC), University Advancement, and other key centers of the university. Utilize creative problem solving skills to provide excellent communications for the University with limited resources.
- Provide leadership and vision for the OSC team and empower the creative individuals of the team to excel at their work. Manage the team for optimum effectiveness, ensuring that deadlines are met and quality standards are high. Oversee budget for OSC as a unit. Direct managerial responsibility for one support personnel and five directors who manage their own support personnel. Provide management and direction for creative team budgets for Enrollment Communications, Creative Services, Digital Communications, Public Relations and Advertising, working closely with respective directors.
- Work to ensure that the University’s brand/identity is used throughout the University, in all publications and digital communications.
- Develop high-level strategies to bring attention to the distinctive qualities of the university, utilizing all forms of communications.
- Provide high-level public relations counsel to the President and university leadership, identifying national trends that correspond to practices and expertise at the University of La Verne as areas of potential national visibility that will enhance the university’s reputation. Introduce the President and other key leaders to national press. Generate an annual media and leadership expedition for the president to meet with higher education editors and thought leaders. Execute crisis communications strategy as needed. Manage the 3-person public relations team overseeing media relations as well as key publications and presidential communication efforts.
- Direct market research when possible to provide insight to creative team in developing communications that reach key audiences with impactful messages. Analyze outcome analytics and use this data to inform future communications for greater effectiveness.
- Maintain key relationships with president, provost, CLPS, COB, LFCE, CAS, CHCW, ROC, and University Advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years of leadership and managerial experience for a strategic communications division or agency, with emphasis in public relations, digital communications, website, social media, print communications and advertising.
- Two years experience as a communications professional in a front line role.
- In-depth understanding of PR, Web, Digital, Advertising and Print and overall marketing strategy.
- Crisis Communication experience in higher education.
- National media relations experience in higher education.
- Strategic communications functions for higher education.
- PRSA, Professional PR designation (APR).
- Masters degree
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
Located in Southern California, the University of La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of students, preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to lifelong learning across the liberal arts and professional programs. The academic units of the not-for-profit university include the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the LaFetra College of Education, and the College of Law. The university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs, including degree programs tailored for working adults. The university's central campus is located 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the historic Old Town section of La Verne, a city with a population of approximately 35,000 at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The university also has eight regional campuses throughout California and the College of Law campus in Ontario, California. The university is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral Institution with moderate research activity. Core values are reflected throughout all curricular and co-curricular programs, its emphasis on close professor-student interaction, personal support of its students, and its diversity.
The University of La Verne prides itself in being reflective of the diversity of Southern California. Approximately 80 percent of its nearly 8,500 students come from diverse backgrounds and the U.S. Department of Education has designated the university as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). With 80,000 alumni, the university fulfills a critical community function in educating students from underserved populations, many of whom are the first generation in their family to attend college.
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How to Apply: Please click the "Apply Now" button below.
Jobs at the University of La Verne. When inquiring or applying for positions at the University of La Verne, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at the University of La Verne and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of La Verne are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at the University of La Verne