Reporting to the President of the University of South Carolina, the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion leads and oversees a comprehensive plan to enhance and build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community for students, faculty, staff, and visitors on the Columbia campus. The Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion works closely with university students, faculty, and staff to create and sustain an inclusive learning, living, and working environment where all members of the university community feel welcomed, valued, and supported.
- Leads the shaping of an institutional vision and a compelling message for diversity, equity, and inclusion by creating aspirational goals, plans for institutional change, and assessment of initiatives.
- Provides leadership, planning, and support for enhancing the diversity and inclusion of the faculty, staff, and students of the University.
- Enhances outreach programming and initiatives to increase the impact and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- Collaborates with campus partners to develop various programs to enhance pipeline, recruitment, retention, and success of students, faculty, and staff from under-represented groups and/or protected classes.
- Provides strategic, integrated direction and consultation to senior administration on major institutional issues regarding diversity, inclusion, equity initiatives, and cultural understanding and competency.
- Collaborates with campus leaders and affinity groups to create, implement, and maintain infrastructure around inclusive excellence.
- Serves as a member of the President’s Executive Council and works closely with other University leaders to evaluate and advance diverse and inclusive initiatives and programs designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment and success of students, faculty, and staff.
- Serves as the University’s chief spokesperson for diversity and inclusion issues, working closely with the Office of Communications and Public Affairs.
- Collaborates with the Office of Government and Community Relations to enhance the contribution and support of underrepresented populations through community partnerships, outreach, marketing, and resource alignment.
- Performs other duties assigned by the President.
- Record of engagement with national organizations in diversity and inclusion in higher education.
- Clear understanding of the need to serve all constituencies on campus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability and desire to coach and develop other professionals.
- Excellent consultation and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of laws requiring equal opportunity and affirmative action and prohibiting unlawful discrimination and harassment.
- Values that are embodied in the Carolinian Creed and skills necessary to fulfill the University’s strategic priorities.
Preferred and Required Qualifications
- A master’s degree and 5 years of experience in the field of diversity and inclusion. The candidate must possess excellent analytical and reporting skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; and strong presentation skills; with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders. A proven track record of strategic diversity leadership and advancing equity in a large institution.
- An earned terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution. An academic, scholarly record in the applicant’s respective field; and experience working with students, faculty, and staff in public higher education.
Procedure for Candidacy
Recruitment will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, applicant information should be received by January 3, 2020. Candidates should apply electronically with a current resume or c.v., list of references, and a letter addressing how the candidate’s experience matches the position requirements outlined in the job description, as well as the applicant’s specific interest in the position at: http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/71252.
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
Review begins January 3, 2020