Character of Duties:
This position is a 12-month tenure-track Extension faculty position in Family Life and Youth Development within the University of Guam Cooperative Extension & Outreach. The successful candidate’s primary role is designated as “Extension and Community Outreach”. In this role the faculty member will review past CE&O programs and accomplishments to conduct needs assessments to identify issues and factors affecting a broad spectrum of Family and Youth topics for the island and region. The successful candidate will use the findings and data to plan, develop, implement and evaluate Extension education programs in Family and Youth for Guam and the Western Pacific. These programs are conducted under 5-year federally approved Plans of Work (POW). As a tenure track Extension faculty member, the successful candidate must also be willing to support the teaching and research efforts of CNAS Agriculture and Life Sciences (ALS) Division.
Additional Extension roles include working with and coordinating extension programs addressing Family and Youth issues that are in accordance with the Guam Extension Plan of Work and collaborating with existing programs like 4-H, Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP), Children’s Healthy Living (CHL) Program, SNAP-Education, Preventive Health Project, and others. As a tenure track faculty, the successful candidate must meet the tenure requirements and develop a portfolio of accomplishments that reflect a minimum of 50% within the primary endeavor (Extension and Community Outreach), a minimum of 25% Creative Scholarly Activities or Research, and 15% University and Community Service during the first five years of the tenure track appointment. In addition, all tenure track faculty in the Agriculture and Life Sciences Division are required to teach, at least, 3 contact hours per academic year in the Agriculture and Lifes Sciences Resident Instruction Program. A report of accomplishments and a Plan of Work is required to submit annually by each ALS faculty and reviewed by the Dean/Director of the College for approval.
The successful candidate will work under the Agriculture and Life Sciences Division as a member of the Cooperative Extension & Outreach team, and a representative of the University of Guam, to provide leadership support for Family and Youth issues and programs working across the various areas of Extension Plan of Work.
The successful candidate is expected to:
1) Earned PhD related to Family Life Sciences and/or Youth Development or closely related field from a U.S. regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent; 2) Has had experience working in Cooperative Extension or other non-formal instruction and/or related community outreach programs; 3) Demonstrated ability to secure and manage competitive grants; 4) Demonstrated ability to communicate, interact, and collaborate effectively with students, colleagues and the community, both verbal and written; 5) Able and willing to work with people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and economic status; and 6) Must be willing to teach online.
1) Experience in undergraduate teaching and program development and willingness to teach courses in family life and youth development and/or other Agriculture and Life Sciences; 2) Knowledge and understanding in the U.S. land grant system and role of Cooperative Extension; 3) Additional trainer/educator certifications in family and youth development; 4) Experience in applied research, scholarly work and university service; 5) Demonstrates successful grant writing and management; 6) Three or more years’ experience in Cooperative Extension or Outreach Education in family life and youth development with communities, families and children; and 7) Knowledge of or experience in working with Pacific Island or other minority/multicultural populations. Experience working with online learning programs.
Applicants for University of Guam faculty positions must complete an online job application through the UOG’s online employment portal at https://uog.peopleadmin.com. Please have the following documents prepared and ready to upload with your application:
(1) Letter of Intent, stating interest
(2) Up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume
(3) Copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts
Applicants who are short-listed for an interview will be required to provide a short (approximately 5 minutes) video clip of their lecture or presentation.
Special Instructions for References: Three (3) current letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about your academic and professional performance must be provided by providing a list of at least three (3) references to be contacted on the References section of the online application. Enter each reference by clicking on the “Add References Entry” button. Provide the name, title, email address, mailing address, and telephone number of each reference. A system automated email will be sent to each reference’s email address with a link to attach their reference letter to your application.
Selected candidate must provide official transcripts prior to hire date. For further information, please contact Dr. Jian Yang, Chair, Extension Family Life and Youth Development Search Committee at email@example.com or the Human Resources Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone number, (671) 735-2350 or fax number at (671) 734-6005.
Police and Court Clearance: Pursuant to Public Law No. 28-24 and Executive Order 2005-34, applicants selected for a position are required to provide original police and court (Superior Court of Guam) clearances of no more than three (3) months old prior to commencement of employment. Off-island applicants must obtain clearances from their place of residence. Applicants are responsible for fees associated with obtaining the clearances.
When inquiring or applying for positions at the University of Guam, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Guam and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com