Job Description for ESL Student Academic Advisor QUALIFICATION:
• Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree
• At least 1-2 years of experience in ESL Advising, preferably in a University setting,
• 1-2 years of experience as a University Academic Advisor in ESL highly preferable
• Bilingual - Spanish JOB DESCRIPTION: The Advisor will assist student in English and Spanish regarding English as a Second Language (ESL) Program on campus. English as a Second Language (ESL), and other Jarvis Christian University course offerings and a variety of other tasks: assists with registration, assessment of test results and interpretation course work to students. Advisor will perform University orientation to current and potential ESL students at the University. The Advisor should be able to communicate effectively and be Bilingual in Spanish and English. The position requires an individual to assume a proactive role in increasing the visibility and effectiveness of the University Community. ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, but are not limited to the following:
• Assists with coordinating campus-wide ESL Academic Advising efforts.
• Works with Executive Director of Student Success Services, Director of Advising & Assistant Director of Advising, and Academic Division Chairs to organize advising and plans strategies to work with ESL student on-Campus.
• Responds to a wide variety of student questions on student services, advising, matriculation procedures and various University deadlines.
• Assists in scheduling and conducting large group of University orientation sessions for students, parents and the public in English and Spanish covering ESL programs, general program of study at the University.
• Facilitate, attend and participates in a variety of meetings, workshops and conferences.
• Provide assistance to prospective students concerning academic advising either by phone, zoom or in person.
• Assists with orientation and registration activities with ESL students.
• Assists students in planning and scheduling for their courses and classes.
• Develop and maintain correspondence with students, and parents.
• Ability to work nights and weekends as required.
• Executes all other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Success Services.
• Coordinating and implementing assessment, advising, orientation and outreach program for an ESL program.
• Assessing student needs and interests and providing guidance and information to students and prospective students in the University.
• Interpreting and explaining policies, procedures and requirement relevant to assigned areas of responsibility clearly and accurately to individuals with varying levels of language skill.
• Speaking, reading and writing fluently in English and Spanish.
• Providing academic, vocational and career support to students.
• Presenting orientation in front of large groups of people in English and Spanish.
• Maintaining sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community University student, faculty and staff.
• Organizing and maintaining recordkeeping systems and files.
• Maintaining the confidentiality of student files and records.
• Skilled in decision-making, effective oral and written communication skills, and leadership ability.
• Ability to prepare/present programs to groups from various backgrounds and establish rapport with all levels of personnel.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to utilize technology to attract and communicate with prospective students and families.
• Must be able to stand to open files and operate office machines, present to students and their families, guidance counselors, and other external constituents; mobility between departments and to attend meetings of employees and managers
• Must be able to write, type, and use phone system and other technical devices
Commensurate with Credentials and Experience
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
Demonstrates integrity, confidence, enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, analytical ability, strong interpersonal skills
SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
Reports to the Executive Director of Student Success Services
Management of tasks in an accurate and timely manner; confidential treatment of students and parent's information, professional dress and grooming, verbal communication and writing skills
Seeks opportunities for continuing education.
Maintain confidentiality of information on students and their families
View more Jarvis Christian University jobs and apply here: https://www.jarvis.edu/job-listings
Jobs at Jarvis Christian University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Jarvis Christian University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Jarvis Christian University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Jarvis Christian University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Jarvis Christian University .