General Statement of Duties
Provides payroll support to human resources along with assisting the executive director human resources.
Distinguishing Features of the Position
The payroll manager reports to the executive director of human resources. The responsibilities of this position require an individual to be consistently accurate, organized and confidential in nature.
Examples of Duties (illustrative only)
- Collects, verifies and records accurate and timely data for payroll including required document collection such as I-9 and W-4 forms
- Maintain employee database through set up of new employees, changes, deductions, terminations and garnishments in the payroll system on a timely basis.
- Verify and process student, support staff, adjunct and administrator/faculty payroll for payment
- Awareness of legislation changes affecting payroll
- Maintain employee files
- Employee benefit eligibility notification and application processing
- Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages and provides information according to established policies.
- prepare payroll journals and remittances
- Database tracking of applicants
- Data management of vacation, free and sick time used
- Assist with processing and reconciliation of fringe benefit payments
- Sort all payroll checks
- maintain ledger for COBRA payments
- Assist with projects as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work and maintain complete confidentiality in all aspects of the job
- Self-starter with an ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a busy day-to-day operation, multitask and meet deadlines
- Strong Microsoft Office computer skills needed with knowledge of data base management (Access) and demonstrated proficiency at Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Filing abilities and knowledge of common office procedures required.
- Must be professional dealing with the public, including but not limited to students, faculty and administration.
- Excellent communication, organizational, writing and proofreading skills.
- Must be customer service-oriented, adaptable, resourceful and courteous and maintain a professional appearance.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com