Occupational Safety SpecialistJob ID:
Statesboro, GeorgiaFull/Part Time:
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.Location
Statesboro Campus - Statesboro, GAJob Summary
The Occupational Safety Specialist assists in developing, implementing and Managing the University Occupational Safety programs.Responsibilities
Required QualificationsEducational RequirementsRequired Experience
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Ensure activities are in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements and other recognized best practices
- Oversee testing of emergency eyewash/drench hoses throughout campus and emergency shower systems
- Perform routine inspections of teaching and research laboratories, workshops and studios for compliance with University, state and federal regulations
- Coordinate with vendors for the certification of the laboratory ventilation systems (i..e, chemical fume hoods, biological safety cabinets, and local exhaust systems)
- Maintain the University Safety Data Sheets (hard copy and online)
- Perform research related to occupational and/or industrial hygiene issues and compiles findings for reports
- Perform non-technical and limited technical safety tasks including industrial hygiene sampling
Preferred QualificationsAdditional Preferred Qualifications
- One (1) year of related experience
Preferred Educational QualificationsPreferred Experience
- Ability to obtain related certifications: CIH and/or CSP
- Work experience in higher education
$41,500 - $48,608 This is an exempt position paid on a monthly basis.Required Documents to Attach
Knowledge, Skills, & AbilitiesABILITIES
- Cover Letter
- Two (2) Professional References
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Ability to maintain accurate and concise records
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to incidents, customer requests, emergencies and site clean-ups
- Ability to self-motivate, multi-task and to work under deadlines
- Ability to use respiratory protection and other personal protective equipment as deemed necessary
- Work effectively to foster a collegial work environment
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
Apply Before Date
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
- Proven experience in organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
Open Until FilledApplication review may begin on September 29, 2022.Contact Information
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org
.Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the University.
Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.Other Information
Background CheckTo apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=249625&PostingSeq=1Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
- This is not a supervisory position.
- Yes, this position will be required to drive.
- This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- Works in both office and outdoor environments
- May have to work in confined spaces and at heights up to and occasionally exceeding 25 feet from scaffolds and ladders
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
- Evening and weekend work may be required
- Exposed to outdoor elements
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to sit long hours
- Ability to drive a University vehicle
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Jobs at Georgia Southern University. When inquiring or applying for positions within Georgia Southern University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Georgia Southern University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Georgia Southern University are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Georgia Southern University.