Prairie View A&M UniversityOmbudspersonJob Title
Prairie View A&M UniversityDepartment
President's OfficeProposed Minimum Salary
$6,563.59 monthlyJob Location
Prairie View, TexasJob Type
This position may pay more than the minimum proposed salary listed above, depending on experience and/or qualifications of the selected candidate.
The Ombudsperson reports directly to the President & CEO and provides neutral, confidential, and independent service to faculty seeking information for conflict resolution. Services provided include consultation, referrals, explanations of policies and procedures, review of applicable resolution methods, and other services. The Ombudsperson maintains strict confidentiality to the extent feasible and lawful and provides a service to the University that is committed to inclusion, fairness and equity.Responsibilities:
Required Education & Experience:
- Provides a neutral, independent, and confidential environment for consultation. Listens to concerns and discusses appropriate options for resolution. Does not advocate on behalf of any individual or entity within the organization and, instead, seeks to identify processes and solutions that are fair and equitable to all parties. Mediates complaints if usual channels for resolution of the conflict have been exhausted or have failed to work. Refers faculty to appropriate campus resources. Coordinates resource use, as necessary.
- Collaborates with all campus partners in University-wide efforts to promote a campus culture and climate that is inclusive and equitable for all.
- Keeps secure records in accordance with the recommendations from the International Ombudsman Association. Generates aggregated and de-identified annual reports to share with senior University leadership identifying themes emerging from the work of the Ombudsperson relevant to campus culture, climate initiatives, and areas for policy and process improvement.
- Provides training and community outreach focused on conflict resolution skills, effective communication, successful culture-climate change initiatives. Engage in ongoing training provided by the International Ombudsman Association and other sources, including in areas of counseling, implicit and explicit bias, principles and practice of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism, and trauma-informed.
- Hearing concerns and complaints of faculty members regarding University policies, procedure, and decisions made by officers of the University which affect the constituent population, and communicating such concerns to the University and its officers in an informed and impartial manner. Facilitates lines of communication between individuals and groups when conflict has otherwise severed constructive communication.
- Investigates complaints. The Faculty Ombudsperson must attempt to verify the information or facts when working with a complainant. One result of the fact verification process may be that the complainant may be advised to change the nature of or drop the complaint (as invalid under law or University/system policy). This gate-keeping function protects those against whom invalid or mistaken complaints would otherwise be made.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in a related field and previous experience in higher education.
- Four years of related experience required.
- Prior experience in Ombuds role preferred.
- Must have or be eligible for membership in the International Ombudsman Association and adhere to its Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
Job Posting Close Date: Required Attachments:
- Ombuds training
- Dispute resolutions and mediation training
- Familiarity with organizational development theories
- Certified Organizational Ombudsman Practitioner (CO-OP)
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
Application Submission Guidelines:
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above "Required Attachments" section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org
should you need assistance with the online application process.Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-TX/Ombudsperson_R-057717?workerSubType=0e1cd8ed3502012ddf607157e74b7d04&workerSubType=0e1cd8ed35020103f9b47257e74b7f04&workerSubType=0e1cd8ed350201da3af87057e74b7c04&workerSubType=0e1cd8ed35020108df607157e74b7e04About Us
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Jobs at Prairie View A&M University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Prairie View A&M University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Prairie View A&M University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To sign up to receive email alerts as soon as new job openings at Prairie View A&M University are announced: New job openings at Prairie View A&M University