The School of Visual Arts (SOVA) at Virginia Tech invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the Creative Technologies (CT) program, effective August 2023.
SOVA seeks a colleague who will assist in building our Departmental, College, and University strengths. The ideal hire will bring research and teaching strengths to SOVA and the Creative Technologies program. We invite candidates with a record of excellence integrating expressive technologies and interdisciplinary research into their critically-driven arts practice.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include:
SOVA joins the School of Architecture, the School of Design, and the School of Performing Arts in comprising the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (AAD) which launched in July 2022. SOVA consists of undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including BFA degrees in Graphic Design, Studio Art, and Creative Technologies, a BA in Art History, an MFA degree in Creative Technologies, and an MA degree in Material Culture and Public Humanities. SOVA consists of 26 full-time faculty members with approximately 275 undergraduate students, 25 master’s students, and doctoral students. SOVA is a collaborative environment that encourages engagement and cooperation among faculty in SOVA’s programs as well as other units across campus.
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design at Virginia Tech affirms our collective responsibility to encourage, build, and embrace the polyculturalism of our world. We do this by acknowledging and addressing our past, recognizing our current responsibility, and acting in the interests of building and sustaining communities that are truly safe, supportive, and inclusive for all. Our commitment is to continually and proactively engage in these processes for the benefit of our students, staff, and faculty across the college, and the communities around the world we aim to serve
● MFA or PhD in creative technologies, digital art, new media art, or related discipline.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
● Strong research agenda and/or evidence of an ongoing and active professional record appropriate for area of expertise.
● Expertise in one or more of the following areas: game design and development; immersive environments; XR; physical computing; 2D and/or 3D digital animation; 3D scanning, modeling, and fabrication; video; sound; interactive installation; performance technology; and/or other creative technologies.
● Record of teaching or instructional excellence in area of expertise.
● Knowledge of the history and theory of art and contemporary artistic practices with particular competence in the candidate’s area of expertise.
● Demonstrated success in working collaboratively across disciplines.
● Ability to teach creative practice through two or more current digital art-making platforms (such as Adobe CC, Godot, Unity, Unreal, D3.js, Processing, ThreeJS, Max/MSP, Notch, TouchDesigner, Blender, Maya, ZBrush, and/or Substance Designer).
● Experience employing one or more of the following as part of an experimental digital art practice: creative coding, XR environments, games and game studies, playable media and playable narratives.
● Proven advisory and leadership experience in academia or professional fields.
● Record of student accomplishment in the area of candidate’s teaching expertise and/or evidence of instructional experience.
Apply Here: http://jobs.vt.edu/
For full consideration, candidates should submit the following:
Jobs at Virginia Tech. When inquiring or applying for jobs at Virginia Tech, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with Virginia Tech and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Virginia Tech are posted, please sign up for new job openings at Virginia Tech.