Manager Technical Laboratory Operations GLP & PCM (Gene Therapy Program)University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Manager Technical Laboratory Operations GLP & PCM (Gene Therapy Program)Job Profile Title
Manager CJob Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine, as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases. GTP is a complex R&D organization consisting of research laboratories supported by multiple core functions which provide internal capacity to perform gene transfer studies from basic research through Phase 1 proof-of-concept human trials.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the "go-to" organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.Job Description
Due to continued growth of our program, we are searching for a new Manager Technical Laboratory Operations to support our GLP and PCM operations across our University City locations. You will oversee various lab operations functions including equipment management and GLP compliance. The position will require extensive amounts of document review.
The Manager shall:
Possess a broad and current understanding of the technical and equipment needs of the GTP research facilities.
Assist with on-site coordination and escort of technicians during calibrations, validations, and repairs. Ensure receipt and filing of service reports. Maintain/archive equipment records for compliance purposes.
Develop relationships with service contractors and equipment technicians to efficiently coordinate repairs and preventative maintenance of equipment.
Support equipment management activities; perform weekly/monthly review of equipment documentation to ensure that each unit's calibrations records are complete and calibrations are up to date; ensure maintenance log accuracy; update equipment database confirming all equipment is entered and all service records are up to date.
Work with stakeholders to make sure all equipment is serviced/repaired as needed and in a timely manner and equipment best practices are followed.
Perform routine maintenance on all equipment (GLP & non-GLP) at GTP facilities per SOP or user manual.
Review an edit equipment SOPs.
Provide supervision for Lab Operations personnel (1-2 direct reports).
Provide on-call emergency response on a rotational basis.Qualifications:
The position requirements include:
Bachelor's Degree and 3 to 5 years of direct laboratory experience, including experience in technical laboratory management preferably in the biological sciences.
2+ years experience working in a GLP or other regulated environment.
1+ years of experience with managing scientific equipment.
Experience with databases and LIMS systems used to track equipment.
Extensive experience with document review and working with databases.
Clear and effective written and oral communication skills.
Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
Customer service oriented with the ability to deal with multiple constituencies (faculty, technicians, vendors, University departments, etc.).
Must thrive in a team environment.
Knowledge of University of Pennsylvania policies and processes; advanced MS Excel and/or databasing knowledge; familiarity with formal databasing systems; basic understanding of laboratory safety practices.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Perelman School of MedicinePay Range
$51,824.00 - $78,096.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3711-Market-Street/Manager-Technical-Laboratory-Operations-GLP---PCM---Gene-Therapy-Program-_JR00063968-1Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency