Natural Lands Intern - Morris ArboretumUniversity Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Natural Lands Intern - Morris ArboretumJob Profile Title
Intern - ArboretumJob Description Summary
The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania inspires an understanding of the relationship between plants, people and place through education, research, and horticultural display. Located in the Northwest section of the city, the Morris Arboretum is a destination for plant lovers from Philadelphia and beyond. Home to a collection of more than 13,000 woody plants, the Morris Arboretum is a hub for botany, horticulture and urban forestry and a special part of Penn.
The Natural Lands Internship is looking for individuals with a strong passion for environmental land management. Interns receive hands-on training in all aspects of garden management and care of the living collections. Specific emphasis is placed on refining a wide range of practical land management/horticulture skills. Interns also assist in supervising volunteers. Through monthly educational opportunities, interns will gain knowledge and insight into other aspects of managing public gardens.Job Description
The Hay Honey Farm Endowed Natural Lands Intern receives hands-on training in all phases of ecological garden development and care of the more than 100 acres of Natural Lands at the Morris Arboretum. The Natural Lands is made up of 45 acres on the public garden side of the Arboretum which includes a 3-acre wetland, meadows, stream, woodland and the main entrance. In addition, the historic 65-acre Bloomfield Farm property which includes research plots, meadows, floodplain, privately administered community gardens, woody plant nursery, green roofs, platinum LEED certified Horticulture Center, historic grist mill, and the Arboretum's materials handling site. Emphasis is placed on refining practical horticultural skills and the safe use and care of small and large power equipment; supervisory skills are developed by directing the activities of volunteers and seasonal employees.
Whomever is selected for this internship should expect to work upwards of 40 hours per week depending on operational need. This internship is expected to run for a duration of 9 months and the pay is $15.34/hour. Duties & Responsibilities
Qualifications & Requirements
- Assist with all garden tasks including weeding, pruning, planting, mulching and turf care.
- Learn to properly identify weeds and implement control methods.
- Demonstrate pruning skills and assist in formative pruning of the Arboretum's plant collection.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper pesticide use--handling, mixing, applying and clean-up of pesticide equipment.
- Take part in watering plants and containers on a rotating weekend schedule.
- Participate in the Horticulture Department's project days.
- Learn to operate the Natural Areas machinery.
- Perform additional duties as requested.
- A strong academic background in environmental studies, horticulture or closely related field.
- Be able and willing to communicate with Arboretum visitors.
- Be able and willing to work independently and as part of a team.
- Be able and willing to work in all weather conditions.
- Be able and willing to lift at least 25 lbs.
- A valid driver's license is required.
The Natural Lands Internship is a hands-on program that assists in the care of maintenance of the Arboretum's extensive wildlife habitat. Outdoor work is required from March-November. Priorities include planting, mowing, weed control, watering, and protection of new plantings from deer. Other tasks include pruning, brush clearing, meadow mowing.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Morris ArboretumPay Range
$15.34 - $15.78
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Morris-Arboretum/Natural-Lands-Intern---Morris-Arboretum_JR00063402Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
How to Apply: Please click the "Apply Now" button below or visit: https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn
Jobs at the University of Pennsylvania. When inquiring or applying for positions within the University of Pennsylvania, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at the University of Pennsylvania and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the University of Pennsylvania are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at the University of Pennsylvania.