Okanagan College transforms lives and communities. We are one of Canada's leading colleges. We create outstanding educational experiences for our learners, both students and employees. We work and learn in a welcoming and caring culture. We are a catalyst for change through collaboration with our learners and partners. We serve, lead and anticipate the social, economic and environmental needs of communities.
Dean, Science and Technology
Vice President Academic
Science and Technology
Flexible Work Options:
Any Okanagan College Location (Kelowna BC, Penticton BC, Vernon BC, Salmon Arm BC)
To provide leadership, oversight and senior management for Science and Technology (ST). To develop goals and strategies for ST. To oversee the operations of ST including the management of personnel, employment contracts, labour relations, budgets, finance, physical plant, faculty and staff recruitment, student recruitment and enrollment management, student affairs, program planning and development, inter-regional programming, program accreditation, ST events, policies and regulations, program advisory committees, pan-institutional projects, relations with other institutions and affiliated organizations.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree related to the disciplines found in the Portfolio. Doctorate or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum ten years in post-secondary education, with significant experience in both administration and teaching.
Functions and Duties:
- Plays a key leadership role in the direction, growth and development of the portfolio and the College. Is a member of the Leadership Team and the Deans Forum. Anticipates, recommends, and contributes to the development of institution-wide policies, and short- and long-term planning, operating and capital budgets and policies and procedures for ST in keeping with the College’s mission, vision, values and key directions.
- Plans, directs and coordinates the delivery of the educational programs assigned to the portfolio including identifying needs for new programs, assessing the feasibility of new initiatives and evaluating, modifying or removal of existing educational programs and services.
- Undertakes regular reviews of educational programs and implements required actions. Responsible for the oversight of accreditation and ensures programs meet the required standards. Is responsible for the quality assurance of ST courses and programs and works closely with the departments, Learning and Applied Research, and Education Council in this endeavour.
- Strives for student satisfaction with programs, program delivery and the quality of instruction. Investigates and processes student complaints related to instruction. Is responsible for student discipline, including the appropriate course of action and the imposition of discipline in all cases except student expulsion. In the latter cases, advises and makes recommendations to the Provost & Vice President Academic.
- Is responsible for ST human resources including organizational design, workload assignments, employee recruitment, orientation and training, performance evaluation and management, professional development, labour relations, and health and safety. Is responsible for ensuring a professional work environment for employees and works closely with Human Resources and employee group representatives in order to build and maintain good relations.
- Promotes and encourages teamwork and consults with and supports instructional ST employees and staff. Fosters a learner-centred environment and encourages instructional employees to innovate in both curriculum and program development and learning and teaching. Develops and maintains effective communication and coordination both within ST and between ST and the College and community. Conducts department Chairs meetings, consults with Chairs on a regular basis, and facilitates the Chairs’ performance of their responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with other Deans and Directors and Education Council regarding ST programs offered in the regions. Represents and promotes the College and its programs on local, provincial and national committees. Liaises with deans at other institutions and with government, academic associations, professional associations, accrediting bodies, school districts, health authorities, private sector organizations, Applied Science, Technologist & Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC) and various other agencies.
- Manages the ST budget and finances and is accountable for allocations and expenditures within the approved budget.
- Administers and ensures adherence to College policies and collective agreements. Participates as the designated supervisor in grievances and provides input to, or participates on, the College’s negotiating committees in collective bargaining.
- Develops and promotes the broad portfolio of ST programs. Leads the development innovation and scholarly activity within the portfolio.
- Ensures that support services such as learning and applied research and other resources are available for instructional employees.
- Ensures staff reporting to the Dean are familiar with the relevant health and safety regulations, receive proper instructions in safe work practices and accident prevention, and are meeting all safety requirements.
Skills and Abilities:
- A strategic visionary with proven strong academic leadership and management competencies with the capability and capacity to deliver on strategic objectives.
- Transformational and trustworthy decision-maker: provides creative solutions to complex problems and understands the intersection of process and technology with operational needs driving results and trust.
- Bold advocate and exceptional communicator: strong negotiation and influencing skills to build and foster positive relationships with the local, national and international communities, government, and alumni is essential.
- Sustainability and growth: proven ability to identify and promote new opportunities to attract resources and secure funding opportunities.
- Management: demonstrated knowledge and skills in applying or managing financial, governance and quality management systems to support organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Creativity and Innovation: demonstrated ability to develop and assess new approaches, define standards of excellence, and implement cutting-edge programs or processes.
- Commitment to reconciliation: demonstrated cultural sensitivity and commitment to reconciliation and adoption of Indigenous ways.
- Equitable access: demonstrated commitment to increasing participation and success of marginalized populations in learning and employment opportunities.
- Inclusive leadership: a role model and champion for change with a demonstrated commitment to embedding equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice into practices and processes.
Exempt - Continuing Full-time
Appointment Start Date:
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate:
Range $117,760 to $180,566. Typical Hiring Range $141,313 to $157,014.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For more detailed information on the opportunity, please click here: https://tinyurl.com/DeanScienceTechnologyOkanagan to view the position profile.
Posting Opening Date:
Posting Closing Date:
To apply for this position, please go to our employment site: https://www.employmentopportunities.okanagan.bc.ca and complete an on-line application.
All applications must be submitted through our employment site to be considered.
Okanagan College is committed to increasing the equitable and inclusive participation of marginalized people in all aspects of college life. We welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black People, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, people with disabilities and people with diverse gender identities or expressions. People with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, AccessibilityHR@okanagan.bc.ca
Jobs at Okanagan College.
When inquiring or applying for job openings at Okanagan College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with Okanagan College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Okanagan College are posted, please sign up for new job openings at Okanagan College.