Under the supervision of the Assistant Dean of Students for Diversity Initiatives, the Programs for Access & Student Success Coordinator utilizes best practices for the inclusion, retention, and advancement of underserved student communities. This staff member keeps apprised of research focused on student experiences, innovative retention trends, and social justice education. They will also offer community building opportunities, and engage in work that provides a strong foundation of programs and experiences that help recruit, retain, and graduate students of color, first-generation, DACA, and undocumented students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Advocacy & Retention
- Provide leadership in development of strategic planning for diversity, inclusion, equity and justice.
- Develop, execute, and oversee the curriculum for University Living Learning Community programs.
- Serve as a member of the Student Intervention Team (SIT), the University Retention, and DEI Strategic Planning committees.
- Develop, implement and manage a comprehensive retention action plan with measurable strategies that promote student success, persistence and timely degree completion for students of color and first-generation student populations.
- Facilitate discussions and collaboration with University departments to identify best practices in retention of students from diverse backgrounds.
- Collaborate with departments on diversity planning, including identifying and creating new initiatives to build the University’s commitment to a welcoming, inclusive environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Track and report retention activities and initiatives across the institution to inform University leadership on needed changes to mitigate any retention declines.
- Identify institutional policies and procedures that may lead to or contribute to attrition and propose changes to University leadership.
- Assists with donor outreach and philanthropic initiatives with a student success focus.
Student Development & Success
- Oversee the development, planning, and implementation of student success initiatives for historically underrepresented students.
- Promote the diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic plan, outreach, and initiatives related to student success.
- Monitors and presents institutional reports and data on student success outcomes.
- Improve effectiveness and success in engaging underrepresented students including first-generation, DACA, undocumented, Latinx, Black, Asian, Native American, and Pell eligible.
- Provide mentorship and resources around identity and adaption for students with various intersecting identities as they navigate through the Stritch student experience.
- Consult with student organizations and University departments to help employ an equitable lens to all events and programs.
- Develop and host campus-wide heritage month celebration programming that celebrates diversity, and facilitates dialogue around issues of equity, community and belonging. This is inclusive of Hispanic Heritage Month, Native American Heritage Month, Black History Month, Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
- Implement, monitor, and recommend adjustments in equity programming connected with the University Strategic Plan.
- Serve as a resource for student support, program design, and training development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, manages schedules and delegates responsibilities of student staff.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree in higher education, social work, psychology, sociology, or related field preferred. Bachelor’s degree required with relevant experience.
- Experience working to promote and support equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Experience fostering student success through working with diverse populations.
- Training and experience in working with students from marginalized identities is required.
- At least 2 years related experience in student affairs with demonstrated success in planning and organizing events required.
- Strong verbal and superior written communication skills
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents
- Ability to effectively interact in all situations with faculty, staff and other University stakeholders
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts
- Ability to use a calculator
- Ability to manage stress with multiple competing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude and affect.
- High energy level, self-motivated, and self-directed
- Skilled in independent decision-making and critical thinking
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs
- Expectation of computer competence to match position
Cardinal Stritch University is a Catholic, Franciscan university rooted in four key Franciscan values: creating a caring community, sharing compassion, reverencing creation and peacemaking. Our mission is to transform lives through value-centered education.
A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
In compliance with the amendments to the federal Clery Act concerning annual security reports, all potential job applicants are free to view Cardinal Stritch University annual Campus Crime Statistics here.
In compliance with the amendments to Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex and gender in education programs, all potential job applicants are free to view Cardinal Stritch University's Title IX policies here.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
To see additional information about our job openings or to apply, please click on the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of our job postings.
Jobs at Cardinal Stritch University. When inquiring or applying for job openings at Cardinal Stritch University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities with Cardinal Stritch University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the Cardinal Stritch University are posted, please sign up for new job openings at Cardinal Stritch University.