Position Title: Instructor of Developmental Writing Department Communication Appointment 9 Months Tenure Status Non Tenure Track FLSA Exempt Job Summary
The Missouri Western State University College of Liberal Arts and Department of Communication invite applicants for the position of full-time English instructor (non-tenure track) with major emphasis placed on instruction. Successful candidates for this position will hold a Master's degree in English or a closely related field with a minimum of 18 graduate credits in English, writing, or reading.
This position focuses on General Studies courses in English, composition and reading, and as such is critical in the University's ability to support student success, and elimination of barriers that impact retention. The ideal candidate for this position prioritizes dynamic instructional environments that promote positive, interactive, and inclusive learning experiences for all students.
Essential Job Duties
Duties for this full-time instructor position include activities focused on instruction and learning, as well as the assessment, student support in early reading, writing, and composition courses.
Expectations of the successful candidate include but are not limited to:
- Teaching undergraduate courses in English, composition, and Reading (course assignments depend on both University and College need).
- Focus on and support of students in General Studies English writing and reading courses, including regular conferencing
- Participation in and support of student retention and success initiatives
- Responsiveness to student communications
- Use and maintenance of Canvas for each course and section
- Timely feedback and assessment of student assignments
- Presence on campus and availability including but not limited to teaching and office hours.
- M.A. in English or a closely related field
- Minimum of one-year of successful English, Reading, or Writing teaching experience in secondary, college/university, or a community/technical setting
- Experience teaching undergraduate courses in English, composition, and reading
- Minimum of one year experience teaching developmental or remedial writing and reading
- Teaching experience with adults or secondary students
- Experience offering and supplemental instruction in English, composition, and/or reading
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
As Missouri's designated applied learning institution, we seek a candidate who is both collaborative and service oriented, and who demonstrates a strong commitment to building real-world active-learning environments.
Physical Demands Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Additional Demands University
Designated as the State of Missouri's applied learning institution, Missouri Western State University is a public open-access institution located in St. Joseph, Missouri, on a beautiful 744-acre campus approximately 35 minutes north of the Kansas City International Airport. With 4,500 plus graduate and undergraduate students and over 29,000 alumni, Missouri Western is designated as a First-Gen Forward campus dedicated to academic innovation, regional and community partnerships, and a student-centered experience.
Missouri Western State University is an active participant in the educational, economic, cultural, and social development of the people and region it serves, and the campus' distinctive focus on applied learning and research is a hallmark of its innovative teaching and learning environment. Missouri Western seeks to build an inclusive environment that is open, welcoming, and supportive of individuals of all backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups and women to apply for this position.
To view more information and to apply please visit: https://mwsu.peopleadmin.com/
Jobs at Missouri Western State University. When inquiring or applying for positions at Missouri Western State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Missouri Western State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Missouri Western State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Missouri Western State University .