Assistant Professor - Data Science - Computer Science 23-15Department:
Computer ScienceFaculty Hire Number: #
Assistant Professor, Tenure TrackEffective Date of Appointment:
August 23, 2023 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)Salary:
Dependent upon qualificationsCSUN's Commitment to You:
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
For more information about the University, visit: http://www.csun.eduAbout the College:
For more information about the College of Engineering and Computer Science, see: https://www.csun.edu/engineering-computer-scienceAbout the Department:
For more information about the Department of Computer Science, see: https://www.csun.edu/engineering-computer-science/computer-sciencePosition:
The department of Computer Science at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member in data science at the rank of Assistant Professor.
The successful candidate will teach primarily data science courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, conduct research, mentor undergraduate and graduate students, and provide service to the University and Community.
In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and service to the department, college, and university. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she/they is/are housed for recommending tenure and promotion.Required Qualifications:
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN's commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2020, CSUN enrolls ~40,000 students, where 56% are Latinx, 20.8% are White, 9.3% are Asian American, 4.8% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.1% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander. The successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service. At minimum, a successful candidate must have:
- A doctoral degree in Computer Science or a closely related field, from an accredited institution. All But Dissertation (ABD) candidates will be considered, but must complete the doctoral degree by August 23rd, 2023
- Specialization in Computational Data Science, Machine Learning, or Natural Language Processing
- Taught at least one Computer Science-related course at the College/University level, either as instructor of record or teaching assistant, or demonstrate strong teaching potential in their teaching statement
- Published at least one peer-reviewed paper in data science
A strong candidate would meet the following criteria:
- Evidence of effective engagement OR potential to engage with a diverse student body
- Experience using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to equitable outcomes for all students
- Experience creating a student-centered learning environment
- Research/Lab experience that includes working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Experience adopting inclusive approaches to mentoring
- A specific specialization involving Machine Learning, with preference given to those applying Machine Learning to Natural Language Processing
- Taught more than one Computer Science-related course at the College/University level, either as instructor of record or teaching assistant
- Taught courses in their research domain
- More than one peer-reviewed publication in data science in high-quality venues, such as ACM, IEEE, or USENIX
- One or more publications meeting the above criteria within the prior three years
- Participation in grant proposal preparation
- Ability to teach a broad range of courses
- Willingness to provide service to the University and Community, as demonstrated by prior service experience
- Commitment to reflecting on and to improving their pedagogy
- Commitment to advising students in research
- Commitment to working with colleagues in a professional setting
- Strong communication skills conveyed through a well-written and well-organized cover letter, teaching statement, and research statement, all understandable to non-domain experts
Screening of applications will begin November 21, 2022. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, and research statement to the website in the section above. In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials, including letters of recommendation, professional work samples, and work produced through student mentoring.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.General Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on-line here
. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083
as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
As a condition of employment, all employees need to certify vaccination status by attesting they are fully vaccinated, need a medical exemption, need a religious exemption, or are not working on campus. You can obtain more information about or access the full vaccination policy here
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096
. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Department of Computer Science at (818) 677-3398.To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/nr/en-us/job/520807/assistant-professor-data-science-computer-science-2315Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please apply using the "Apply Now" button below
Jobs at California State University, Northridge. When inquiring or applying for positions at California State University, Northridge, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at California State University, Northridge and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at California State University, Northridge are posted, please sign up at new job openings at California State University, Northridge.