As the Laboratory Support Supervisor/Confocal Microscope Manager (LSS/CMM), you will assist faculty and students in teaching and research laboratories, including preparation of solutions, media, and other materials for teaching labs. You will work with faculty on the setup and maintenance of teaching and research laboratories. You will also maintain and support use of the confocal microscope, as needed.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepares solutions, sterile culture media, and general materials and supplies, and maintains cultures (microorganisms, etc.) for teaching laboratories. Resupplies teaching labs, rotates equipment and supplies with changes in lab setup, and keeps prep room clean and orderly. Together with faculty, evaluates, purchases, and coordinates the maintenance of laboratory equipment by college personnel or outside vendors (including periodic calibration and certification). Purchases lab supplies, as needed.
- Coordinates handling and disposal of hazardous materials and biological wastes, cleans glassware and other materials, sets up and maintains laboratory computers and other equipment, and maintains databases of equipment and chemicals.
- Ensures that computers (both Mac and PC) are fully functional for teaching and research needs. Installs and upgrades software for teaching and research. Helps evaluate instructional software and works with faculty on implementation. May assist faculty with development of specialized equipment (mechanical and electronic) for use in teaching and research laboratories in association with the College's electronics engineer.
- Involved in all aspects of supervision of student assistants to whom routine tasks can be assigned.
- Maintains current knowledge on federal, state, and local regulations and college procedures related to laboratory safety, chemical safety, biohazards, etc. In coordination with the EH&S Officer, ensures that fume hoods, biological safety cabinets, and all other safety-related equipment are maintained. With training from Public Safety, serves as a safety captain/emergency coordinator during emergencies.
- Acts as a departmental liaison to Facilities and Operations (F&O). Monitors and tracks maintenance and repair requests submitted by faculty and professional staff to F&O, using protocols developed by the chair to assure that LSS and Laboratory Technician are cognizant of all such requests.
- Performs all of the tasks mentioned above in collaboration with the Department Greenhouse Manager/Laboratory Technician and Laboratory Support Technician.
- Maintains the equipment and supplies to support use of the confocal microscope. Responsible for arranging upgrades, routine maintenance, repair and service of the microscope and associated equipment. Arranges vendor technical support for training in new techniques and applications of the microscope. Helps train new users to ensure that they are able to use the microscope effectively and safely. Assists faculty with outreach and demonstrations, and manages the schedule of microscope.
Full-time members of the Franklin & Marshall College professional staff receive competitive starting pay and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health coverage, dental, vision, generous retirement savings plan contributions, education benefits for employees, spouses and dependent children, and enjoy access to all College facilities including dining venues to suit all tastes, recreation and fitness facilities, and libraries, plus access to College performances, lectures, and events.
- Bachelor's degree is required; Master's degree preferred
- 3-5 years relevant experience required
- Intermediate proficiency in Google Suite (Docs, Gmail, Sheets, Drive, Slides) required
- The ability and willingness to provide excellent service and to work in a collegial manner with students, faculty and staff, and other constituencies is essential.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of reference checks, a criminal background verification, Pennsylvania ACT 153 background clearances, and verification of credentials. The College will coordinate these verifications.
For more information and to apply, please visit www.fandm.edu/jobs.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Franklin & Marshall College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com