Position entails working closely with postdoctoral fellows as part of a multi-lab research team. Although initially supervised, the position requires both independent and collaborative work with minimal supervision. The majority of time will be dedicated to the conduct and analysis of experiments, in particular multiplex analysis of RNA and protein expression in tissue sections using a cutting-edge NanoString Digital Spatial Profiling platform. Hands on training will be provided. Weekly plans/ goals will be discussed with supervisors but the position requires independent time management and multitasking to ensure timely completion of research goals.
(70%) Research Support
- Immunofluorescent staining of tissues
- Operation and maintenance of NanoString GeoMx Digital Spatial Profiling equipment
- Operation and maintenance of NanoString n-Counter instrument ( for data collection)
- Library preps from NanoString sampoles for RNA sequencing analysis.
- Data analysis
(30%) Lab Support
- Assist with bulk and single-cell RNA Sequencing library preps for the lab
- Process/analyze data
- Write and revise laboratory protocols
- Training of personnel on research techniques and use of laboratory equipment
- Media and solution preparation
- Quality control testing of laboratory reagents
- Lab inventory, ordering, and stocking
- Equipment maintenance
- Hazardous, Biohazardous, and Radioactive waste disposal
- Maintaining laboratory safety records
- Attend and contribute to staff meetings and lab meetings
- Minimum 2 years of relevant lab experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experienced with cellular and molecular biology techniques.
- Proficient in the operation of standard lab equipment and computer hardware/ software.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of histology and molecular biology techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mix up or cross contamination.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities and able to prioritize.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work with human cells and tissues and complete all appropriate associated training.
- Must be willing to work independently and must have a flexible schedule to support research needs.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The incumbent in this position will constantly be adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, touching/feeling, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working indoors.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com