Job Location is at 10255 Science Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92121 or 10010 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
The Research Assistant I will work closely with the Lab Coordinator for the Busch laboratory to help maintain day-to-day activities within the research laboratory. Responsibilities include general lab support, general molecular biology support, and general plant care. The Research Assistant I will be working alongside other members of the Busch laboratory as well as those in the Plant Biology Department to study the genes involved in root growth in Arabidopsis thaliana.
(60%) General Lab Support
- Maintains laboratory inventory and supplies
- Orders laboratory supplies
- Prepares buffers, medias and lab stocks
- Maintains laboratory equipment
- Maintains organization of research laboratory
- Assists with maintenance of laboratory safety protocols and records
- Assists with training other lab personnel on research techniques and use of laboratory equipment
(20%) General Molecular Biology Support
- Performs various techniques in molecular biology such as:
- DNA/RNA extraction and analysis
- PCR and qPCR
- Gel electrophoresis
- Minipreps and maxipreps
- Molecular cloning techniques
(20%) General Plant Culture Support
- Independently controls and maintains a functional plant growth environment
- Independently maintains stocks of plant lines
- Independently grows plants for experiments or seed amplification
- Independently transforms and selects transgenic plants
- Independently conducts and supervises semi-automated plant phenotyping
- No professional experience required with relevant degree.
- 1 years of related lab experience.
- Experience with caring for plants.
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge, specifically with plant development and genetics.
- Bachelor degree in Biological sciences, or equivalent.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform routine tasks.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Ability to operate and maintain various lab equipment.
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of relevant biology techniques.
- Ability to research information and analyze data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment, although this specific position is with a plant biology-focused laboratory.
- Willing to sign an employee confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly handling, seeing and sitting.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com