Director Space Management and Planning
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$95,000+ (commensurate with education and experience)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$45.67 per hour
$200 per month
The Dallas College Facilities Management Department supports the facility needs for Dallas College while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the College's physical assets. The Facilities Management Department is responsible for approximately 5,000,000 sq. ft. of physical space and over 1400 acres of land, located across multiple locations in Dallas County.
The Director of Space Management and Planning is responsible for the effective planning, assessment and efficient management and use of space in Dallas College. This position will serve as the primary interface between Facilities Management and all other Dallas College departments regarding space utilization. The Director serves as the point of contact with respect to evaluating the utilization of, and needs for, all Dallas College space and renovation/expansion projects proposed by Dallas College departments. The Director is responsible for developing and coordinating space planning initiatives on behalf of the Deputy Chief Facilities Officer. The Director plays a leading role in the management of a comprehensive program for collecting, maintaining, and analyzing Dallas College space & facility information. The Director will collaborate with colleagues in various Dallas College departments such as Facilities Management, the Foundation, Purchasing, Business Affairs, and the Office of the Provost to structure and manage large amounts of facility & space related data. The Director will have the responsibility of procuring and managing the data within the space management software package, such as Archibus. The Director will oversee and direct the efforts of analysts as assigned, and take an active role in establishing standards, processes, policies, and strategies. The incumbent will understand the connections between the College’s strategic initiatives and facility operations and maintenance. The Director will harvest facility asset information from multiple data sources including drawings, specifications, and site visits and will make recommendations based on this data. The Director will establish and maintain an accurate space inventory and will interface with a wide variety of College staff, including Facilities Management, Provost and other senior officers to identify academic and institutional program objectives and their physical requirements. This position is integral to the overall success of the College in supporting long range planning and the management and oversight of its space-related assets.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of space management solutions and practices, space utilization planning and implementation, and coordinating multifunctional projects.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to think, plan and communicate strategically to a variety of audiences; and good problem-solving and decision-making skills with demonstrated integrity
• Excellent time management skills
• Demonstrated ability to work well with many people with differing demands and expectations and a leadership style that inspires collaboration among stakeholders
• Technical skills include experience in space management software or utilizing and interrogating databases, and proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications
• Understanding and appreciation for the mission and goals of the Facilities Management department and Dallas College
• Ability to think ahead to anticipate potential problems and to provide solutions
• Ability to develop and implement new program and plans with minimal supervisory involvement
• Take an ownership and be accountable for results of all implemented programs and plans
• Additional desirable skills include familiarity with AutoCAD, construction, estimating, construction and project costs, maintenance and building systems, procurement processes and scheduling
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Interior Design, Drafting and Design, Business or related field and at least 5 years of experience as a space planner in higher education with 2 years of supervisory experience.
• Official transcripts will be required.
*** Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct and oversee assigned budget
• Assist in developing and executing multi-year strategic plans
• Ensure the highest quality of space management and planning efforts across Dallas College
• Direct the activities of assigned space management analysts
• Ensure space management efforts are consistent and equitable across Dallas College
• Assists in the development and monitoring of suitable Facilities Management KPIs
• Works with other Dallas College leaders to ensure the highest level of customer service
• Completes required DC Professional Development training hours per academic year.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Dallas College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Dallas College are posted, job seekers please sign up at new job openings at Dallas College.